How good is the camera on the Google Pixel XL?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although it doesn't have the the Pixel 2's Portrait Mode, it does have AR Stickers. The quality of photos in general is still excellent -- I had an XL for about a month or so (as a replacement for my Nexus 6P through Nexus Protect), before I traded it in for my current 2 XL. I took a lot of pics in Hawaii with the XL, and they came out great.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Although it doesn't have the the Pixel 2's Portrait Mode, it does have AR Stickers. The quality of photos in general is still excellent -- I had an XL for about a month or so (as a replacement for my Nexus 6P through Nexus Protect), before I traded it in for my current 2 XL. I took a lot of pics in Hawaii with the XL, and they came out great.

I believe Camera NX gives you Portrait Mode functionality.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe Camera NX gives you Portrait Mode functionality.

Thanks for the tip! Do you know if that app uses the same computational algorithms as the Pixel 2 camera software, or is it some other workaround?

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! Do you know if that app uses the same computational algorithms as the Pixel 2 camera software, or is it some other workaround?

Sorry, I have no clue about that stuff. There was an article here on AC about it. That may explain what you're looking for.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I use the NX camera, I don't use portrait mode but use the stickers. Pictures look identical using stock camera app or NX

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It does... It is still the Google Camera, just hacked a bit to allow it to run on any phone with compatible hardware. Quality of output should be identical to the stock version unless you fuss with some if the settings that NX presents to the user that were hidden in stock.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's still a very capable camera, especially if you want to just point, shoot and get a nice looking photo at the end.

If you prefer having more control out of the box, well, it does support Camera2, but if you'd like having it out of the box natively, it might not be your first choice, but that depends on how much you value control.

AJ S1

Apr 2, 2018
Visit site
I wouldn't LOL that, not the first time I read it and listened to a podcast about a year ago making the same claim.