Pixel XL just died

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My husband's phone is a Pixel XL 128 GB. It had about 20% battery left when he plugged it into his charger by his bed. Suddenly the screen went blank and the phone just died. He bought it off eBay 3 months ago and it was working fine until he plugged it in.

Have tried pressing the power button for ages and nothing. Pressed the power button and vol up... nothing. Power button and vol down.. nothing.

Just wondered if there is anything else I can do. Only lther option is to get a Pixel 2 XL new from Carphone Warehouse but that will cost us over £600.

Is there any way to resurrect this pixel xl?

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Leave it plugged in overnight. Then in the morning when you turn it on, hold down the volume while pressing the power.

Should come up

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Seems from a google product forum that the dead pixel xl 128GB is a well known issue. Had it plugged in for hours and still unresponsive. Looks like they just randomly die.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was the battery acting up prior to this? If it was draining more quickly recently, or getting particularly warm while charging, it may be that the battery failed.

BearDown85

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 9 used to die and not turn on or respond to bootloader button combo. If I plugged it in with wall charger and held the vol up vol down and power button for a full 1-2 minutes it would turn back on. Not sure if it will work for the pixel but won't hurt to try.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My Nexus 9 used to die and not turn on or respond to bootloader button combo. If I plugged it in with wall charger and held the vol up vol down and power button for a full 1-2 minutes it would turn back on. Not sure if it will work for the pixel but won't hurt to try.
Went to try this out and guess what? The battery had reached zero and when I plugged the charger in the screen showed a moving battery icon! After a few minutes the phone was able to turn on and now it appears to be working again. Granted I am using a different charger and lead (for my Pixel 2 XL) and it is up to 41% charged. I have taken the charger out to try and the phone hasn't turned off spontaneously or anything like that. Looks like the charger was faulty and caused the phone to fail until the battery completely died. And now it has reset.

I bought my husband a Pixel 2 XL to replace this Pixel so I will reset the phone and give it to my 18 year old daughter.

How very odd.
041845f711700eaeaabcb6a1eadef2e4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2