Suddenly soft bricked, locked bootloader... HELP!!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Pixel XL (2016) used last week. Everything was perfect. Tried Android P Beta and then went back to official Oreo. The phone worked perfectly all week.

Then yesterday evening, I'm watching a YouTube video and the thing shuts off to never turn back on. I can't access recovery but the bootloader is there. The thing is it's locked and I can't allow OEM unlock cause I can't boot into Android.

When I try to boot normally or go into recovery mode there's a white flicker on top. Like it's trying to load it but can't.

It's possible that it's no longer under warranty...

Can anyone help?

Strangely enough, on Reddit, 3 other users say they had the exact same problem yesterday too. Anyone else here?

Thanks

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the screen lite up at all?

If not, plug it and charge it all day.

I have had it go completely dead while playing a game or other intensive app.

Once it dies completely, you can't just plug it on and it will turn on.

Let it sit all day or over night on the charger.

Should come up after that

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Does the screen lite up at all?

If not, plug it and charge it all day.

I have had it go completely dead while playing a game or other intensive app.

Once it dies completely, you can't just plug it on and it will turn on.

Let it sit all day or over night on the charger.

Should come up after that

The only screen that comes up is the bootloader. Nothing else.

So I just have to leave it plugged in for maybe 12 hours and check again if it comes back?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'd say it's worth a shot. Reflashing the ROM will wipe the device

Normally I'd agree but right now given I have a backup of everything and how afraid I am of just losing my money I don't mind wiping anything. I just want it to boot! :p

I just plugged it in. I hope it works.

When @Gdraft#WN says "I have had it go completely dead while playing a game or other intensive app" it reminds me that, strangely enough, it happened just after I set the video I was watching on YouTube to 720p and there was about 20% left of battery life. Maybe that's just it but then again that wouldn't be normal behavior would it?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Well that didn't help at all! Now I can even get into the bootloader anymore. I tried turning it on to see if it was filled up and it does nothing. Before there was still a little vibration when I pressed the power button, now nothing :(

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
That's where I am now. But they're asking for the original purchase ID which I don't have as I bought it from someone who bought it from Google. So I'm waiting for that person to give me the ID but no luck for now.

What's strange is that with the IMEI they were able to track down the purchase so I don't understand why they're asking for that.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
That's where I am now. But they're asking for the original purchase ID which I don't have as I bought it from someone who bought it from Google. So I'm waiting for that person to give me the ID but no luck for now.

What's strange is that with the IMEI they were able to track down the purchase so I don't understand why they're asking for that.

Hopefully, you will be able to get the original purchase ID from the previous owner.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Google's pretty good about that, for units with locked bootloaders, there's not much you can do to be honest.

They are. The return was quick, easy and I was very very happy....

...but...

The replacement device I got was also defective (it didn't charge). I went to get a new RMA and they offered me an "advanced" return which I chose. Then I learned that I had to secure the amount for a new device on my credit card so I chaged my mind. The agent started a regular return but I never got my RMA or shipping labels.

It's been a week now of them saying "We'll get back to you in 24-48 hours" every 24 to 48 and I never get anything. I'm really really irate and running out of patience. This is a ridiculous situation for a company the size of Google. Everytime I go back to speak to them they tell me they'll get back to me in 24 to 48 hours and to just wait. I don't know what to do. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair