Phone App Locking Up

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I installed the June Security Update I cannot use my phone as a phone. My phone app either crashes, locks up, or just flat out won't respond until the phone crashes. I have also had it where the person on the other end cannot hear me nor can I hear them. Go to hang up the call, won't end the call, and phone crashes and reboots.

I have uninstalled the updates to the app and that seemed to have no affect. Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can always try sideloading the update to fix any glitches that occurred while it was downloading.

First back up the phone (see Backing up an Android Device) (just in case something goes wrong).

Go to Google | Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices, scroll down to marlin for the Pixel XL or sailfish for the Pixel. Follow the instructions at the top.

If that doesn't fix it, flash a new image to the phone. Download the factory version image for June from Google | Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices. (Scroll down to marlin for the Pixel XL or sailfish for the Pixel. The last file in the group is the June image.

You'll have to unlock the bootloader (see Unlocking Pixel Bootloader). (Don't worry about the warning message you get every time you start the phone, it will disappear after you relock the bootloader.)

Unzip the file. Make sure you have the driver installed in your PC if you're running Windows (you don't need drivers for Mac or Linux) (Android Developers | Install OEM USB drivers).

Edit the flash-all.bat file if you're in Windows or the flash-all.sh file if you're in a Mac or Linux computer in a text editor, find the line starting "fastboot -w update" and delete the -w part. That will flash the image, but not do anything to your files. If the phone still doesn't work, you'll have to put the -w back, run flash-all again. That does the same thing as before, but wipes all userdata (which is why you need the backup). Then relock the bootloader. Then restore your entire backup.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
You can always try sideloading the update to fix any glitches that occurred while it was downloading.

First back up the phone (see Backing up an Android Device) (just in case something goes wrong).

Go to Google | Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices, scroll down to marlin for the Pixel XL or sailfish for the Pixel. Follow the instructions at the top.

If that doesn't fix it, flash a new image to the phone. Download the factory version image for June from Google | Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices. (Scroll down to marlin for the Pixel XL or sailfish for the Pixel. The last file in the group is the June image.

You'll have to unlock the bootloader (see Unlocking Pixel Bootloader). (Don't worry about the warning message you get every time you start the phone, it will disappear after you relock the bootloader.)

Unzip the file. Make sure you have the driver installed in your PC if you're running Windows (you don't need drivers for Mac or Linux) (Android Developers | Install OEM USB drivers).

Edit the flash-all.bat file if you're in Windows or the flash-all.sh file if you're in a Mac or Linux computer in a text editor, find the line starting "fastboot -w update" and delete the -w part. That will flash the image, but not do anything to your files. If the phone still doesn't work, you'll have to put the -w back, run flash-all again. That does the same thing as before, but wipes all userdata (which is why you need the backup). Then relock the bootloader. Then restore your entire backup.

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately I am on a Verizon pixel and I already have it setup so no unlocking the bootloader :(

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well if it makes you feel any better I have been having the exact same issues with my Pixel. Whenever someone calls me, my phone will ring and ring, but the answer/decline screen never actually comes up. Then the phone will usually crash shortly after. Or like in one case it came up after the phone stopped ringing and couldn't be dismissed. Then I finally just pressed the answer button out of frustration which crashed the phone.

I am working on backing up my phone now so I can do a complete wipe and reinstall the most recent update. But this is extremely frustrating. I have never had an update, especially one so minor, so severely cripple a device before.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So I manually flashed the June OTA over the weekend. For a while it seemed to be working out and the phone seemed to be behaving itself. Then yesterday I noticed that my headphone jack would just randomly stop working, but rebooting the phone bought it back. Then today it crashed again while trying to decline a phone call.

I have no idea what else to do at this point, which is extremely frustrating. This has for the last year and a half been the perfect phone and has always just worked flawlessly. Now it has become an unstable, unusable mess. I was hoping to hold out for the Pixel 3 as a replacement, but I am starting to think that just isn't going to be an option anymore.

mrpeewee

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine started acting up after the 9.0 update. I uninstalled the phone app updates and it works fine. must be something with the last app update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084