So three weeks ago, my Pixel XL turned off and never came back. So I got a replacement. Of course it was a refurbished phone which I was fine with especially when I saw how impeccable the phone was.

One little tiny issue: it did not charge.

So I asked for another replacement. There was a bug with the return so the whole thing took over two weeks. I finally got my replacement wednesday.

Again one tiny issue: the headphone jack doesn't work on one side (I've already done all the testing without and with Google's support so the issue is physical).

I asked the representative if I could get a new device instead because, after two refurbished devices that were broken, I'm starting to think their testings are not done properly. She told me she couldn't garantee it.

Honestly I don't care whether it's new or refurbished. I just want it to work. I'm not trying to score a new device.

Did anyone else have this kind of problem with replacement devices?
    06-22-2018 09:23 AM
    This is just one data point from me, but I've gotten a couple of refurbs from Google with no problems. The first was a Nexus 6P replacement after the first one had the bootloop of death. The second was a Pixel XL that was sent as a replacement for that 2nd Nexus 6P after I cracked the screen and sent it in as part of my Nexus Protect plan. Both units had no issues (apart from the issue I inflicted on the 6P).
    dlalonde likes this.
    06-23-2018 06:19 PM
    I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately I don't have any refurb experiences to provide. Please keep us posted on what happens with your next Pixel XL device.
    dlalonde likes this.
    06-23-2018 06:31 PM
    Thanks for your replies guys!

I got another refurbished phone on Tuesday. So far so good! Everything works fine.

The great thing about those refurbished phones is that they are absolutely spotless. The look completely new which is awesome. I think they changed the fabric over the earpiece but that's the only difference I see (and maybe I'm wrong as the first Pixel I got was white and this one is black).

Hope it will last for the rest of my contract at least (there's a year left but only 3 Months of warranty left).
    Morty2264 and B. Diddy like this.
    06-30-2018 08:54 AM
    Thanks for your replies guys!

I got another refurbished phone on Tuesday. So far so good! Everything works fine.

The great thing about those refurbished phones is that they are absolutely spotless. The look completely new which is awesome. I think they changed the fabric over the earpiece but that's the only difference I see (and maybe I'm wrong as the first Pixel I got was white and this one is black).

Hope it will last for the rest of my contract at least (there's a year left but only 3 Months of warranty left).
    That's awesome! I'm so glad you are enjoying it and that it looks and feels like new!
    dlalonde likes this.
    06-30-2018 09:39 AM
    I have had Verizon for years and long before I ever bought my 2016 Pixel XL 128GB. I have always kept their full monthly paid protection warranty that isn't cheap bit have had to use it every so often whether it was with a Nokia, LG flip, 3 different versions of Blackberrys and now the Pixel XL.
    I have had some but not much flack going though their "troubleshooting" most of which I had already done on my own. On 2 different occasions I had at least 3 phones at my house waiting on a refurbished unit that worked so I could return the original defective device and the other two defective refurbished devices. It happens unfortunately. It all depends on who does the refurbishing and what was the initial defect that needed to be fixed and then refurbished that device.

As of today I have had to go through Verizon to get a refurbished Pixel XL 128GB twice but the refurbished devices I received seemed to work with no issue.

I have heard and read on various forums of Google Support sending refurbished devices that came defective with a different issue as you had twice. It just sounds like it happensmore frequently with Google. Then again it is a Google device so given that and the amount they have sold and go through it may just be appearances are deceiving
    dlalonde likes this.
    07-08-2018 09:26 PM
    I have had Verizon for years and long before I ever bought my 2016 Pixel XL 128GB. I have always kept their full monthly paid protection warranty that isn't cheap bit have had to use it every so often whether it was with a Nokia, LG flip, 3 different versions of Blackberrys and now the Pixel XL.
    I have had some but not much flack going though their "troubleshooting" most of which I had already done on my own. On 2 different occasions I had at least 3 phones at my house waiting on a refurbished unit that worked so I could return the original defective device and the other two defective refurbished devices. It happens unfortunately. It all depends on who does the refurbishing and what was the initial defect that needed to be fixed and then refurbished that device.

As of today I have had to go through Verizon to get a refurbished Pixel XL 128GB twice but the refurbished devices I received seemed to work with no issue.

I have heard and read on various forums of Google Support sending refurbished devices that came defective with a different issue as you had twice. It just sounds like it happensmore frequently with Google. Then again it is a Google device so given that and the amount they have sold and go through it may just be appearances are deceiving
    It's kind of a shame because people are already wary about refurbished devices. Then Google's automatic email tells you not to worry that their refurbished devices are thouroughly tested and yet some are still defective.

The third device I got has been working fine since I got it but I'm still kind of worried it's not going to last until the end of my 2 year contract with my carrier because of the problems I had and also because the warranty isn't reset with the replacement device. I had 4 months left with my original device and still have 4 months left with this device. So as far as Google's concerned their replacement just has to last 4 months and then, if it break, I'm screwed. It's not a good system as far as I'm concerned. I would be if they actually did proper testing but obviously that's not the case...
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-12-2018 10:00 AM
    In most cases refurbished means they hold down the power button and watch the phone come on, then send it out to you. They know if there's a problem you'll just send it back/rinse/repeat until you give up or the warranty expires :-(

Almost no place actually does any physical repairs of any kind. The word "refurbished" gets HIGHLY abused.

I will NEVER EVER buy a "refurbished" phone to save a few bucks. And I would throw a MAJOR FIT before I accepted a "refurbished" phone as a warranty replacement.

Fitbit tried that on me and I got my credit card company involved and got a brand new replacement ;-)
    Tritonemusic likes this.
    07-20-2018 04:09 AM
    In most cases refurbished means they hold down the power button and watch the phone come on, then send it out to you. They know if there's a problem you'll just send it back/rinse/repeat until you give up or the warranty expires :-(

Almost no place actually does any physical repairs of any kind. The word "refurbished" gets HIGHLY abused.

I will NEVER EVER buy a "refurbished" phone to save a few bucks. And I would throw a MAJOR FIT before I accepted a "refurbished" phone as a warranty replacement.

Fitbit tried that on me and I got my credit card company involved and got a brand new replacement ;-)
    Yeah I don't have much choice in the matter. My phone was bought second hand and was still on warranty. So I don't have a lot of leverage with Google concerning the replacement.

That being said the phone is in such a state that I'm absolutely certain they have actually changed several parts, mainly the screen and fingerprint sensor which are both absolutely spotless (the latter is really scratch prone). The earpiece cloth doesn't seem to be the same as the original one as well. So I'm certain they actually do more than just turn it on
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-20-2018 11:55 AM
    Yeah I don't have much choice in the matter. My phone was bought second hand and was still on warranty. So I don't have a lot of leverage with Google concerning the replacement.

That being said the phone is in such a state that I'm absolutely certain they have actually changed several parts, mainly the screen and fingerprint sensor which are both absolutely spotless (the latter is really scratch prone). The earpiece cloth doesn't seem to be the same as the original one as well. So I'm certain they actually do more than just turn it on
    I would hope Google would do better for us pixel owners ;-) That's why we pay the premium price, for the premium Android experience and support :-D
    It's not like we're buying some "too good to be true" priced device from some Amazon 3rd party back alley scammer :-( Although I did pick up my pixel brand new, sealed in the box, for almost half price a couple months ago, but most definitely not from Amazon ;-)
    dlalonde likes this.
    07-20-2018 08:59 PM
    That's awesome! I'm so glad you are enjoying it and that it looks and feels like new!
    Well I got a bad surprise this morning. The phone is off and will no longer turn on. I'm trying to get them to send a new one. 4 devices, 3 of them being a replacement, all the same issue... it's getting just absurd isn't it...
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-26-2018 07:00 AM