Dang! Phone has been acting wacky over the last several days. Since a couple days ago, when I make calls, I cannot hear the person nor can they hear me (although it works in my car on bluetoof). Looked here and saw some people were having issues but not my exact one. I rebooted in 'safe' mode by starting up and holding the down volume button and everything worked fine for a little bit, but now it's back to being a jerk again.

The fact that it works sometimes and sometimes doesn't makes me think (know?) that it is a software issue rather than a hardware one.

I have a first generation Pixel XL running version 8.1.0 with June 5 update. i know it's a little old, but not THAT old. Thanks for any help.
    06-26-2018 02:11 PM
    I rebooted in 'safe' mode by starting up and holding the down volume button and everything worked fine for a little bit, but now it's back to being a jerk again.

The fact that it works sometimes and sometimes doesn't makes me think (know?) that it is a software issue rather than a hardware one.
    Did you reboot between the time it worked and the time it stopped working? Rebooting takes it out of safe mode. If it works in safe mode, it's saying that one of the apps you installed is causing the problem. Reboot and, of course, it stops working again - until you reboot into safe mode.
    06-26-2018 02:44 PM
    Sorry, it went screwy. I booted in safe mode and it was fine. Couldn't go without all the functionality and then rebooted into regular mode. After a day or two, it went back to being screwy again (in reg mode). Did the same thing again (reboot in safe and back again) and now it is fine (for now). Checking/running different apps and seeing if it goes screwy again, but it seems it's just random. Very annoying. THANKS!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2018 04:25 PM
    Sorry, it went screwy. I booted in safe mode and it was fine. Couldn't go without all the functionality and then rebooted into regular mode. After a day or two, it went back to being screwy again (in reg mode). Did the same thing again (reboot in safe and back again) and now it is fine (for now). Checking/running different apps and seeing if it goes screwy again, but it seems it's just random. Very annoying. THANKS!
    That's good that it seems to be working for now! Keep us posted!
    06-26-2018 04:30 PM
    Any way it could be about "Messages"? I did that new thing the other day where you scan the bar code so I could send messages from my desktop. Seems to have been around the time things went bad. Also, just now, things were working well until I sent a text, then it went screwy again. I hit the lower right "square" (next to the home button) to get all the running apps pop up/listed and then swiped right on messages. Tried a call again and everything worked. So everything working for now.

I'm going to experiment for a little bit and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks, guys.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-26-2018 04:35 PM
    Any way it could be about "Messages"? I did that new thing the other day where you scan the bar code so I could send messages from my desktop. Seems to have been around the time things went bad. Also, just now, things were working well until I sent a text, then it went screwy again. I hit the lower right "square" (next to the home button) to get all the running apps pop up/listed and then swiped right on messages. Tried a call again and everything worked. So everything working for now.

I'm going to experiment for a little bit and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks, guys.
    You never know - it could be! I too got that notification within my "Messages" app but didn't opt for it of yet. How is the desktop-texting experience; other than your call issues? Hopefully things continue to work for you! Keep us posted!
    06-27-2018 07:30 AM
    Thanks for helping. Sadly, looks like I'm just getting a new phone. I reboot and it works fine for a while, then the earpiece and talk piece(?) just stop working quasi-randomly. It works fine in my car on BT and when I put it on speaker, I can hear but can't talk. Very frustrating. The 'messages' thing didn't work and quitting all apps didn't work either. I tried to pinpoint when/why it would stop after running certain apps, but couldn't figure it out.

I get a new phone tomorrow. Transferring everything is a huge pain. Any recs for an app that 'mirrors' my current pixel. I know the Google backs up a lot of stuff on Gdrive, but they don't do everything. Is there a more comprehensive app that you guys like that does all the apps G does not (Uber, widgets, etc)? Thanks again.
    06-28-2018 11:12 AM
    Thanks for helping. Sadly, looks like I'm just getting a new phone. I reboot and it works fine for a while, then the earpiece and talk piece(?) just stop working quasi-randomly. It works fine in my car on BT and when I put it on speaker, I can hear but can't talk. Very frustrating. The 'messages' thing didn't work and quitting all apps didn't work either. I tried to pinpoint when/why it would stop after running certain apps, but couldn't figure it out.

I get a new phone tomorrow. Transferring everything is a huge pain. Any recs for an app that 'mirrors' my current pixel. I know the Google backs up a lot of stuff on Gdrive, but they don't do everything. Is there a more comprehensive app that you guys like that does all the apps G does not (Uber, widgets, etc)? Thanks again.
    I'm sorry that things ended up not working with your Pixel! Are you getting another Pixel or a new phone altogether? Also, I'm assuming you mean an app similar to Messages? I'm sure you'll be able to find one that suits your needs; but I would recommend downloading Textra. Don't think it has the text-from-desktop functionality but it's similar to Messages as far as some customizations go (ie, setting colours for specific contacts, ability to set different text tones and ringtones per contact).

How are you liking your new phone? Enjoy!
    06-30-2018 10:01 AM
    Yes, got a 'new' pixel. Sadly, still a first generation as I guess VZW still had them around. It was free though because I had insurance. Thought maybe I'd get a 2, but no luck.

The cool thing though was the data transfer. Just plugged a C-to-C cable in both phones on startup and it took care of 95% of the stuff. Pretty swell. Still a pain to go through everything and some less obvious settings, but this made it much more manageable.
    06-30-2018 01:47 PM