Pixel XL - No September Security Update - What's UP?

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I have not received the September OTA security update and from what I have seen, I am not the only one. In fact, I think the majority of OG Pixel XL owners have not received the update. My Pixel XL is running Android 9 Pie on the T-Mobile network. Is this a device issue? Is this issue related to T-Mobile and its MVNOs including Project Fi? It would be nice if there was some rhyme or reason to this issue.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I haven't gotten it yet and I'm on T-Mobile too. I am starting to think this is a T-Mobile thing. It seems Verizon customers have gotten it. Not sure about Sprint or AT&T. But this is ridiculous.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Almost certainly a T-Mobile issue. Other threads here point to it. There are posts with VZ users getting the update. Haven't noticed anything on Sprint or AT&T. But all that have not got the update are either TMob or Fi.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
If this is a T-Mobile issue, why just the Pixel XL? My niece received the update on her OG Pixel on 9/12. She is on T-Mobile also.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I received the September 5th security update on my brand new og pixel a few days ago when I was setting it up. I received the update along with Oreo then Pie over wifi..... it never had a sim in it until it was completely set up. So if there's a delay getting the update it definitely sounds like it's carrier related.

You guys could try the old "pull the sim card and check for updates" trick ;-)

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
On Project Fi. Got the security update on OG Pixel XL even though it is not even activated right now. SIM is in Pixel 2 XL. Also got the update. Both on Pie.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
On Project Fi. Got the security update on OG Pixel XL even though it is not even activated right now. SIM is in Pixel 2 XL. Also got the update. Both on Pie.

So you got the update with and without a sim....... I got mine without, and the guys above have tried both methods with no update. Reminds me of waiting for nougat on my MXPE..... guys were trying all kinds of tricks to get the update sooner, but in the end we all got it when we got it ;-)

It must be the way Google rolls these updates out. I'm new to pixels so I have no idea how they normally roll out monthly updates. I'm coming off a Moto phone, we didn't get updates because Lenovo is Chinese and they didn't understand what the word "update" meant. I kid I kid...... they just sucked azz lol

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Until September 2018, the updates came on a timely basis.

I agree. I am wondering if we are starting to see the slowing down of support for the original Pixel. I know google promised the security updates for 3 years so we should have another year left but maybe the carriers are no longer required to push them as fast? It is the only thing I can think of.

Honestly at this point seeing how quick the One Plus got the Android 9 update I might look at that as an alternative or if Samsung gets their act together and gets updates out quicker maybe I will go back to them as their hardware is Awesome.

I am also tempted to go back over to Apple and see if I could deal with iOS again?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I am wondering if we are starting to see the slowing down of support for the original Pixel. I know google promised the security updates for 3 years so we should have another year left but maybe the carriers are no longer required to push them as fast? It is the only thing I can think of.

Honestly at this point seeing how quick the One Plus got the Android 9 update I might look at that as an alternative or if Samsung gets their act together and gets updates out quicker maybe I will go back to them as their hardware is Awesome.

I am also tempted to go back over to Apple and see if I could deal with iOS again?

I didn't think there was a difference between Pixels

Tom Hulley

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site
I have the OG Pixel XL. No update yet for me.
My wife has the OG smaller Pixel and got the update early in September.
Whats up with that!
Tried with and without SIM. Tried on Sprint and Tmobile (Fi). Still no update.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Same experience. My niece got the update on her OG Pixel on 09/12, but my Pixel XL hasn't been updated. Both are on T-mobile. I hope we aren't stuck on August 2018 update forever.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
The September OTA update finally showed up on my Pixel XL/Android 9 Pie/T-Mobile device. It is 27 September and the update is dated 05 September. It is about time.

Looking forward to the October 05, 2018 update next week. At least I will get it on my Essential on 10/05 or earlier!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae