Is this still a good phone?

luca19608

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm looking to spend under $200 for a decent android. Is this still a good phone? Can I count on it giving me a couple more years?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You should be getting Android updates until next summer (and possibly security updates for another year). Then you can still use the phone for another few years, at least. (I used my Note 3 for almost 5 years, but it didn't have a fingerprint sensor so when I started needing one, I went to the Pixel 2.)

About the only main difference between the Pixel and the Pixel 2 is that the Pixel does the HDR (high dynamic range) in photography in software, the 2 has a chip to do it, so the Pixel, in HDR mode, takes a second longer to process a picture.

Is it still a good phone? A lot of people here are still using them. I'd say it's pretty good.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It's still a good phone, as long as the battery is still good and you don't need some of the newer frequencies that have been deployed. Specifically Band 71 and Band 66 on T-Mobile. You'll get security updates for another year, though you'll probably not get the next major Android OS. I'm planning on getting one more year out of mine also.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's a great phone, I picked mine up brand new sealed in the box for $350 no tax, and picked up a 2nd generation daydream headset from best buy brand new for 49 bucks........best 399 dollars I've ever spent. Works perfectly on AT&T :)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Mine is still working fine, still getting updated just like the newer pixels. No always on display though, if that's something that's important to you.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My Pixel XL is a great phone. So much so that the Pixel XL 2 and 3 seem like incremental upgrades that aren’t compelling enough for me to want to part with the money Google wants for them.

tokuzumi

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I will respond with a resounding yes. I bought a non XL pixel a few months ago in preparation for an overseas trip. I also brought along my Galaxy S9 as a backup camera. In most cases, my Pixel took better photos than the S9. Once the lights started getting dim, my S9 would edge out the Pixel because of aperture size (1.5 vs 2.0), but the people I went on the trip with were really impressed with the photos I took on 2 year old hardware.

I would love to upgrade to a Pixel 2/3 to get that dedicated camera engine, but I'm looking forward to the night shot feature coming to our Pixel.

I have no regrets with my recent purchase of a first gen Pixel.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
After 2 years, this is still the best performing phone I've ever had. I purchased on BF 2016, and I did have a hardware defect with the microphone, but the replacement has been fine. I don't really have a reason to upgrade to pixel 3, its more of a want. Time will tell. Pixel 2 gets all the camera love, but pixel is better than iphone X in most situations.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Still really like mine. 32gb is a little tight in 2018 but workable. Otherwise it handles 2018 without breaking a sweat. Enough of the new goodies are filtering down to keep me from feeling too far behind. I'm on my second one after the first fell victim to a drop at 1 year old, so I should be good with battery performance for some time.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the OG Pixel. Great little phone. Took a look at the Pixel 3 at Best Buy. Seemed tiny, then realized it had a much bigger screen. Not sure I like the newer ratio of the screen ( tall and thin). Like the front facing speakers. I always seem to be covering the bottom speaker when holding it.

Ultimately, couldn't resist so ordered my first, ever, white phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox