With 9.0 on my Pixel XL, I cannot find way to receive app notifications on my screen only with no sounds. On previous Android versions, I had the option to show notifications but silence the sound, all I see now is the option to turn off notifications (from specific apps) completely or leave them on completely. what am I missing?
    11-12-2018 01:12 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is there a specific app you're talking about? Check the app's own settings menu -- is there an option to select the Notification tone? If so, change it to Silent or None.
    11-12-2018 05:59 PM
    With 9.0 on my Pixel XL, I cannot find way to receive app notifications on my screen only with no sounds. On previous Android versions, I had the option to show notifications but silence the sound, all I see now is the option to turn off notifications (from specific apps) completely or leave them on completely. what am I missing?
    I have exactly the same problem. It is getting annoying day by day. Though there are only few apps which allow 'no sound' option in the notification settings. May be it is related to specific phone, I am using Nokia 6.1 Plus.
    11-27-2018 07:31 AM
    My question is kind of similar. I what to know why all of the apps notification sounds are the same, with no way to change them. Also, there does not seem to be any way to change the ringtones for different social media accounts. If there is, I have phone no way to do.

Pixel with Pie
    03-28-2019 07:46 PM
    It can be a little confusing, because not all apps allow you to customize the notification tone. If you take Hangouts as an example -- go to Settings>Apps, select Hangouts, then Notifications. Now let's say you want to customize the tone for incoming messages -- to do so, tap on the word Messages (not the checkbox, but make sure that's checked on in the first place). On the next menu, make sure Behavior includes making a sound, then tap Advanced, then Sound. There, you can choose a custom tone.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    03-28-2019 09:16 PM
    Thanks @b.Diddy. That did work for some, as you stated.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-28-2019 09:41 PM
    Following up on this, what do we do if the app does NOT have a custom notification sounds section? I am very much going to miss this feature if it's gone.
    06-14-2019 09:18 AM
    I just came across this thread looking for this exact problem. It is a bit old now but in case someone ends up here like I did, here is the solution: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-c...ns-android-pie
    So not only is the option still available, but it is also customizable by category within each app. A bit more hidden though!
    07-24-2019 11:30 AM