Pie: How to receive app notifications without notification sound

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

With 9.0 on my Pixel XL, I cannot find way to receive app notifications on my screen only with no sounds. On previous Android versions, I had the option to show notifications but silence the sound, all I see now is the option to turn off notifications (from specific apps) completely or leave them on completely. what am I missing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is there a specific app you're talking about? Check the app's own settings menu -- is there an option to select the Notification tone? If so, change it to Silent or None.

person unidentified

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
With 9.0 on my Pixel XL, I cannot find way to receive app notifications on my screen only with no sounds. On previous Android versions, I had the option to show notifications but silence the sound, all I see now is the option to turn off notifications (from specific apps) completely or leave them on completely. what am I missing?

I have exactly the same problem. It is getting annoying day by day. Though there are only few apps which allow 'no sound' option in the notification settings. May be it is related to specific phone, I am using Nokia 6.1 Plus.

PowderJockey

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My question is kind of similar. I what to know why all of the apps notification sounds are the same, with no way to change them. Also, there does not seem to be any way to change the ringtones for different social media accounts. If there is, I have phone no way to do.

Pixel with Pie

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It can be a little confusing, because not all apps allow you to customize the notification tone. If you take Hangouts as an example -- go to Settings>Apps, select Hangouts, then Notifications. Now let's say you want to customize the tone for incoming messages -- to do so, tap on the word Messages (not the checkbox, but make sure that's checked on in the first place). On the next menu, make sure Behavior includes making a sound, then tap Advanced, then Sound. There, you can choose a custom tone.

Cygwulf

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Following up on this, what do we do if the app does NOT have a custom notification sounds section? I am very much going to miss this feature if it's gone.