Battery Replacement

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody ever considered a battery replacement in their Pixel? I'm not sure it's even possible (certainly it would take major surgery), but the idea is intriguing.

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes. ubreakifix did it for $80 with OEM battery and it has breathed new life into my Pixel. I will probably keep it another year now. Def worth the money.

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
My battery life was garbage, charging port was loose. Send it to Google for repairs. Apparently under the Armorsuit screen protector, I had a cracked screen.
All replaced /repaired for $200. About a week process. Pixel XL from Day 1 release

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok my big question is - what's the state of the phone after the replacement? I mean the physical state after being pried open. Marks/scratches?

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
After Google replaced the battery and cleaned the charging port, my Pixel XL is like new. Upon their inspection, apparently I had a cracked screen. I inspected it before shipping and didn't see anything, yet I still had a Armorsuit skin on it,so who knows. Regardless, for $200 USD, it's like a new phone. I'll wait for the Pixel IV

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
After Google replaced the battery and cleaned the charging port, my Pixel XL is like new. Upon their inspection, apparently I had a cracked screen. I inspected it before shipping and didn't see anything, yet I still had a Armorsuit skin on it,so who knows. Regardless, for $200 USD, it's like a new phone. I'll wait for the Pixel IV
Especially if there's a chance they'll take away the notch.

JSOL1

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Sent my OG Pixel in after it started Boot looping last month.
It came back in 3 days like new. I decided to spend the money getting it refurbed because there seems to be too many issues with the 3. Will wait for the 4

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
A big thanks to Andy for bringing up UbreakIfix here. I'd never heard of them before this thread. I finally went to them last weekend with my and my son's OG Pixel XLs and wanted to share the experience here.

In a word, WOW. My Pixel XL is like a completely new phone now. What a difference! The tech advised running the battery down 0 (when they installed it it was at 7% but it took FOUR HOURS to go down to 0!) and then to charge to 100, then run down to 0 again, etc, and to do that "3 to 5 times". Down to 0, up to 100, down to 0, etc with no charging in between.

Well I'm happy to say that I'm now getting close to 36 hours on a full charge, with about 2 hours of SOT (give or take) per session. MAGIC. I'm sure it's a combination of both the new battery and the good advice, but this is awesome. I'm going to keep going for as long as I can with this 0/100/0 approach (even though it's not always convenient) so's to keep this battery as healthy as I can.

But thanks again for the idea!
f6a19bd6246cb24357a295bd33c4e79e.jpg
ceaea8bfa7c661290aa92063d14243bf.jpg

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
One thing I forgot to add to my last post - I'm using battery saver at night. No reason for full power during that period. Huge difference!

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm obviously not keeping up very well with this thread! This is great to hear, glad it worked for you as well. Hopefully still performing satisfactorily? Mine is.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm obviously not keeping up very well with this thread! This is great to hear, glad it worked for you as well. Hopefully still performing satisfactorily? Mine is.
1.5 months later and still cranking! Max duration of 44 hours, average of about 36. Average SOT for me is 2 to 2.5 hours.

Fantastic!

SomeNexusUser

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

Chances are they cracked the screen replacing the battery. It's super easy to do given how thin the screen is. They probably didn't want to pay the cost, so they said it was cracked. :)

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Chances are they cracked the screen replacing the battery. It's super easy to do given how thin the screen is. They probably didn't want to pay the cost, so they said it was cracked. :)

That's exactly what I figured. I had no proof, either way. Since it's been running like a new phone, I had no reason to complain. It was worth the money IMO

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol