Only number showing, not name

TucsonDave

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I recently did a hard reset on my pixel XL running Pie. Since I did the reset I no longer have my contact names showing in the default messages app. I only have the phone number showing. Does anyone know how to get the name to show instead of the phone number in my messages app.
Thanks,
David

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, go to Settings>Apps​, select the Messages app, and make sure it has permission to access your Contacts.

TucsonDave

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I checked all the above settings and it is still not syncing across. Does anyone think perhaps that it could be because I have corporate mail installed on my phone and that does lock down some settings?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An email app wouldn't do it. If the company installed some security software on the phone, it might. (My attitude in situations like that has always been "If you want me to carry a phone with your software on it, supply me with the phone." I don't put what I call "corporate crap" on my personal phone, unless supplying a phone is a requirement of the job - and if I take a job like that, it's going to cost them more than a phone and unlimited account will cost me..)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are the phone numbers that are showing up exactly the same as what's listed for your contacts in the Contacts app? The main common discrepancy would be country codes (i.e., the number shows up in the Messaging app with a country code, but the saved number in your Contacts app doesn't).

TucsonDave

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I just get the area code and the number instead of the contact name. It makes it difficult to send that person to contact from my list because I have to search through phone numbers instead of just seeing the name or the picture.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got this idea from another member for a different issue -- try turning off Google Play Services' permission for Contacts, then turn it back on.

TucsonDave

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Google Play Services didn't work either. A coworker suggested using Messages+ which I had on my phone anyways. It shows contact name just fine. Seems to have more functionally as a plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC