Stream direct from data plan, not from WiFi or hotspot

brasto

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I discontinued my internet at home. I'm tired of high cost internet. I only have 1/2 gig of hotspot at 4g speed. I have to turn on hotspot to connect to my Chromecast, but if I steam from an app, it uses the WiFi access that my phone is providing and uses up my hotspot data on no time. After 30 minutes I can no longer stream with this method because hotspot gets reduced to 2g speed. I understanding that if I cast my whole screen, it forces the Chromecast to use my data connection instead of my hotspot. However once I start streaming from Netflix or Google Play Movies and TV, it gets just as slow, which makes me think the Chromecast has started pulling via hotspot again. I download a whole episode and try to cast my screen. Then I get an error saying I have to delete the downloaded copy in order to cast.

Why can't I stream a downloaded file? Why can't I cast to my TV using my phone data plan instead of my hotspot? What other options are there to send a video file from my phone, using my phone data plan instead of my much-more-limited hotspot? I've found that USBC to HDMI doesn't work already. What other options are there to sending video, streaming from my data plan, to my TV HDMI port?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Chromecast requires a WiFi connection to stream, it's how Google designed it. Miracast can stream without a home WiFi connection, but Google removed that from stock Android to force users to purchase their inferior Chromecasts.

One of the Pixel users here might have a work around for this issue, but to the best of my knowledge it's not possible without a home WiFi connection.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams