I discontinued my internet at home. I'm tired of high cost internet. I only have 1/2 gig of hotspot at 4g speed. I have to turn on hotspot to connect to my Chromecast, but if I steam from an app, it uses the WiFi access that my phone is providing and uses up my hotspot data on no time. After 30 minutes I can no longer stream with this method because hotspot gets reduced to 2g speed. I understanding that if I cast my whole screen, it forces the Chromecast to use my data connection instead of my hotspot. However once I start streaming from Netflix or Google Play Movies and TV, it gets just as slow, which makes me think the Chromecast has started pulling via hotspot again. I download a whole episode and try to cast my screen. Then I get an error saying I have to delete the downloaded copy in order to cast.

Why can't I stream a downloaded file? Why can't I cast to my TV using my phone data plan instead of my hotspot? What other options are there to send a video file from my phone, using my phone data plan instead of my much-more-limited hotspot? I've found that USBC to HDMI doesn't work already. What other options are there to sending video, streaming from my data plan, to my TV HDMI port?
    02-11-2019 12:42 AM
    Chromecast requires a WiFi connection to stream, it's how Google designed it. Miracast can stream without a home WiFi connection, but Google removed that from stock Android to force users to purchase their inferior Chromecasts.

One of the Pixel users here might have a work around for this issue, but to the best of my knowledge it's not possible without a home WiFi connection.
    02-11-2019 01:50 AM