Pixel XL to Pixel 3a Is it worth it?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi all,

I have a Pixel XL and am thinking about getting a Pixel 3a. My current Pixel XL has 128GB but I don't mind the downsize to 64GB. Will it be faster? Screen better or worse? Overall any thoughts? Is it worth it just to get the newest versions of Android?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The PXL has an 800 series SoC and the 3A has a 600 series, but due to the improvement in time, they're about the same (the 3A has more slow cores, but that's probably to make up for the lack of Visual Core chip in the 3A. The 3A is a 2k screen at 441 ppi, the Pixel was a 4K screen at 531 ppi.

So the screen isn't as great (with the 3A), the picture processing time is slower - about all you'll get is 2 more updates.

If it were me, I'd wait for the 5, at least. (By Android S, Lineage might have a version for the Pixel XL. They do for Pi, so that developer (developer team?) may keep going for a few more years. I have a 2 and unless they come out with some very tempting hardware, I'm planning on switching to Lineage when the updates run out.)

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Hmmm this is a toughie. I have a Pixel XL as a secondary device and I have been thinking the same.

Screen: For me this would be an upgrade with the newer aspect ratio. 16:9 in this day and age seems extremely outdated. I'm running the Q beta and the full screen gestures have definitely helped save some screen display for general use but still, I think newer aspect ratio would be more enjoyable with the rounded corners.

Always on Display: This is a big one! It's a big big feature in my opinion.

Camera: If you're using a non-stock camera apk then you have portrait mode. If not, then you don't. With 3a you'll get the portrait mode without doing anything and you'll keep on getting the same camera apk updates which the Pixel 2 and 3 will be getting. So that's an upgrade as well.

Dual Speakers: While not front firing, dual Speakers is a big plus in my books.

Faster charging: Something about an 18 Watts charger in the box.

Built Quality and design: Unless you've kept your phone in pristine condition, you'll like the newer asthetic. The colour options are really nice too. You will, however, miss the weight of the phone. Nothing beats metal and glass.

Accessories: You'll find newer cases such as Google's own fabric cases etc.

Overall you'll miss the built quality and that's pretty much it. So I say do it! Always on display and speakers alone will be huge as daily features.

tbrady8

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The XL's in line for the official Q update plus security thru October I think. Possibly longer from what I've read. Get your money's worth & grab a 3a in 5 months when they go on sale. Tech never holds its value but with Google phones you can make it happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay