Android 10 - Battery Life after upgrade on Pixel XL

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
My battery life seems to have gotten significantly worse after upgrading to Android 10. I typically had 53% - 57% left at the end of the day after my usual moderate use. I'm now finishing between 28% and 34%. I just listen to podcasts and text/whatsapp. No changes in use. I did a hard reset last Tuesday but that didn't help.

I've allowed for some time for the phone to get used to a new system but its been 5 days and still still no improvement. Is anyone else having the same experience?

BTW: Standby time is better. But using the phone for almost anything kills the battery now.

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm on regular OG Pixel (not XL) and am experiencing the exact same thing. Standby is outstanding, but doing literally anything with the phone drains battery twice as fast as before upgrade to Android 10.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You need to remember that the majority of apps aren't optimized for 10 yet, so they won't be working their best. 10 has once again changed and restricted more permissions for apps to save even more battery. Honestly I would remove your third party apps and factory reset. This will be the last os upgrade we get, so might as well do it right. The reset alone will improve your battery life. Then add back the apps you need one by one to see which ones are playing nice with 10.

I factory reset my OG pixel recently and am not running any third party apps, and I was getting incredible battery life on 9, and nothing's changed on 10. It's not a problem with 10, it's a problem with how 10's reacting to your particular phone setup. A factory reset after an OS upgrade is always going to give you the best chance at having a good running phone.

Remember this will probably be the last time you have to do it ;-)

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have turned off wifi /blueooth scanning in Settings - location. This has helped a bit.

Thanks. I did that too and it helped. After upgrading and doing a factory reset, I was having battery problems. I forgot how many things I had turned off (before wiping everything) to increase battery life. I turned off the Google app notifications yesterday which also helped.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
You need to remember that the majority of apps aren't optimized for 10 yet, so they won't be working their best. 10 has once again changed and restricted more permissions for apps to save even more battery. Honestly I would remove your third party apps and factory reset. This will be the last os upgrade we get, so might as well do it right. The reset alone will improve your battery life. Then add back the apps you need one by one to see which ones are playing nice with 10.

I factory reset my OG pixel recently and am not running any third party apps, and I was getting incredible battery life on 9, and nothing's changed on 10. It's not a problem with 10, it's a problem with how 10's reacting to your particular phone setup. A factory reset after an OS upgrade is always going to give you the best chance at having a good running phone.

Remember this will probably be the last time you have to do it ;-)

I did exactly this last night. I factory reset and did NOT use a backup to recover my data and apps. I installed just a very small subset of the apps that I had originally after the reset manually (and to be honest, I didn't have that many to begin with). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any difference. My battery is draining significantly faster than on Android 9.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I did exactly this last night. I factory reset and did NOT use a backup to recover my data and apps. I installed just a very small subset of the apps that I had originally after the reset manually (and to be honest, I didn't have that many to begin with). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any difference. My battery is draining significantly faster than on Android 9.

I have a couple suggestions for you.... first if you have lift to wake turned on turn it off, it is an ABSOLUTE battery killer on 10, they changed how it operates and it will eat your battery alive. Second give your phone some time...... my battery life took a slight hit right after I upgraded to 10, but after a few weeks it's lasting just as long or longer than on 9. Don't focus on it too much, it'll just drive you crazy, and if you give it a little time you might be pleasantly surprised ;-)

tbrady8

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
@J Dubbs

Ive noticed when swiping from left to right , switching between apps (with the gesture bar/line?) at the bottom, some apps act super strange at the bottom. You can tell they're not ready for A10 yet. How can you not use one or two 3rd party apps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae