Google Pixel 2016 Future

sowhoong

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys. i owned both Google Pixel XL and 2XL.

As i knew (from google support site), the Original Pixel has no more guarantee in receiving update after this.

Do you guys think still a chance in receiving any later?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, Google phones get 3 years of updates. The OP updated to 7.1.0 in October 2016, and probably got its last update yesterday. The 2 got its first update, to 8.0.0, in September 2017, and probably gets its last one next September. That doesn't mean that you can't keep using it. I have the 2, and plan on using it for a while. The 3 and 4 offer nothing exciting (I have the camera from the 3 running in the 3) and the 4 id just more of the same, so I'll probably keep the 2 for a few more years. (And if they offer telephoto and wide angle - I can buy a set of add-on lenses, including an 18X zoom, for under $40. [Not that I take so many wide or long shots any more that I'd need them.])

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
We weren't supposed to get the update to Android 10, so I'm glad we did. I wouldn't expect any new updates from here.

I wasn't expecting an update to Android 10, but now that we have it, I'm expecting at least a few months worth of regular security updates. If not, why would Google have gone through the trouble of updating the OG Pixel to Android 10 even though it wasn't required to?

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't expecting an update to Android 10, but now that we have it, I'm expecting at least a few months worth of regular security updates. If not, why would Google have gone through the trouble of updating the OG Pixel to Android 10 even though it wasn't required to?

Fingers crossed. You do have a point.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Just think about it guys, we have a 2016 phone running the latest cutting edge Android os that the majority of 2019 flagship phones aren't running yet. I have guys that are jealous I'm running 10 on my 2016 phone I paid $325 for on clearance brand new, and they don't have it on their 2019 $1000+ flagship yet lol. They especially hate seeing that gorgeous dark mode they don't have yet. I've swung some guys over to the pixel side for just that reason. I'm thrilled to get this much cutting edge phone for such little money.

TucsonDave

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Is the fact that our security updates are coming to an end next month a show stopper for anyone? I think we will still be able to be safe for use of our phone for another 6 months to a year perhaps.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Is the fact that our security updates are coming to an end next month a show stopper for anyone? I think we will still be able to be safe for use of our phone for another 6 months to a year perhaps.

It's not a hard and fast show stopper for me, but it's close. The security updates are why I only have pixels in my family (everyone else's pixel died so they moved to Pixel 3a, but my OG pixel is still going strong). I don't really care about OS updates, so it didn't bother me when my Nexus 5x didn't get Pie because it was still getting security updates for a while when it was still on Oreo. But losing the security updates means I'm done with my OG pixel pretty soon (although honestly, the decreased battery life upon upgrading to 10 had me on that track already). Since they'll release one more update in December, that means the phone isn't "out of date" until the January update that new pixels get. I think I'll keep it around a little while longer until I see if a 4a is going to be released in the spring. If so, I'll get one of those probably.

Honestly, anyone not using a pixel, oneplus, or an iPhone is hopelessly out of date with security updates so it seems silly to be worried about being a few months out of date - but that's where I am.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I finally placed my OG pixel in the drawer yesterday. I have moved on when I got my Pixel 3 back in February, but kept the OG Pixel charged and running 10 beta. I was so excited when Google thought about us OG users with the 10 so, I'm grateful for that reason. Now that it won't receive anymore updates after December, it is now a backup replacement if something should happen to my 3.

sowhoong

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
It's not a hard and fast show stopper for me, but it's close. The security updates are why I only have pixels in my family (everyone else's pixel died so they moved to Pixel 3a, but my OG pixel is still going strong). I don't really care about OS updates, so it didn't bother me when my Nexus 5x didn't get Pie because it was still getting security updates for a while when it was still on Oreo. But losing the security updates means I'm done with my OG pixel pretty soon (although honestly, the decreased battery life upon upgrading to 10 had me on that track already). Since they'll release one more update in December, that means the phone isn't "out of date" until the January update that new pixels get. I think I'll keep it around a little while longer until I see if a 4a is going to be released in the spring. If so, I'll get one of those probably.

Honestly, anyone not using a pixel, oneplus, or an iPhone is hopelessly out of date with security updates so it seems silly to be worried about being a few months out of date - but that's where I am.

I guess I will try to walk with it till June.... then will go for alternative.... Nokia / Oneplus... I think if we knew it will stop securing after 3 years for sure.... it is better to get cheaper one and secure the same time frame

sowhoong

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
yah i got it too this morning here.

but the wierd thing is it still show at oct update after the update was done

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203-071729.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-071729.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20191203-071806.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-071806.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20191203-072117.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-072117.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20191203-094907.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-094907.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 21

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So, what does it mean to not get security updates anymore? I see people saying that the phone will no longer be secured. Can someone explain what happens when the security updates stop?

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
hey folks, I have a 2XL that "expires" this October. Are OG phones still getting any security updates after the 3 year guarantee? I'd like to keep my 2XL as long as I can. It is such a great phone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol