To Root or not to root

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, now that I've tried to root...

I followed the 5 steps listed here: How to root Google Pixel and Pixel XL in 5 steps

It wrote a new image to my phone, but now that I've installed Superuser, it says it's not rooted. Weird.

Just out of curiosity, what did you do that finally got adb to recognize your device?

Regarding rooting your phone, did you use a fastboot flash command or a fastboot boot command?

Here's where I went to get root:

[ROOT] SuperSU | Google Pixel XL

Obviously, download whatever file applies to your phone---Pixel or Pixel XL.

When you extract the boot-to-root.img file, place it in the same directory that has fastboot.exe

Make sure you type: fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

and not fastboot flash boot-to-root.img

Good Luck.

When done successfully, the root checker app from the PLAY STORE will confirm you are rooted. However, not all root apps will work. However, this is mostly due to developers that need to update their app to support the Pixel and Android 7.0

The root method for the Pixel/Pixel XL is a little different the phone has 2 separate data partitions.

- Go into bootloader mode, if not there already
--- Turn off device
--- Hold volume down and power
- Run "fastboot boot boot-to-root.img"
--- Wait for a few minutes. The device will reboot at least twice
- You should be rooted once Android is fully booted up

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, now that I've tried to root...

I followed the 5 steps listed here: How to root Google Pixel and Pixel XL in 5 steps

It wrote a new image to my phone, but now that I've installed Superuser, it says it's not rooted. Weird.

Just out of curiosity, what did you do that finally got adb to recognize your device?

Regarding rooting your phone, did you use a fastboot flash command or a fastboot boot command?

Here's where I went to get root:

[ROOT] SuperSU | Google Pixel XL

Obviously, download whatever file applies to your phone---Pixel or Pixel XL.

When you extract the boot-to-root.img file, place it in the same directory that has fastboot.exe

Make sure you type: fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

and not fastboot flash boot-to-root.img

Good Luck.

When done successfully, the root checker app from the PLAY STORE will confirm you are rooted. However, not all root apps will work. However, this is mostly due to developers that need to update their app to support the Pixel and Android 7.0

The root method for the Pixel/Pixel XL is a little different the phone has 2 separate data partitions.

- Go into bootloader mode, if not there already
--- Turn off device
--- Hold volume down and power
- Run "fastboot boot boot-to-root.img"
--- Wait for a few minutes. The device will reboot at least twice
- You should be rooted once Android is fully booted up

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Oddly, I uninstalled the Google USB drivers and installed the ADB ones. They both worked for me when the phone was booted, but only the ADB worked when it was in bootloader mode.

In the bootloader, I did:
1. fastboot devices
2. fastboot boot boot-to-root.img

That was it. The device rebooted and I got the unlocked padlock at the bottom of the boot screen, but once booted up there was no root. But it did reset the device back to a fresh image (good thing I backed everything up!)

I ran steps 1 and 2 above a second time and that gave me root, with no refresh. So I'm good now.

The only downside is that the cats easter egg game doesn't seem to work anymore. :(

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Glad you got that figured out. Unlocking the bootloader on the Verizon model is more difficult, but works.

Enjoy the phone the way it should be running. :)

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Glad you got that figured out. Unlocking the bootloader on the Verizon model is more difficult, but works.

Enjoy the phone the way it should be running. :)

Right now the best part about having the rooted phone is that my power toggles across the top actually do what they're supposed to do. I can toggle GPS or Airplane mode without having to go through three confirmation screens. There is a learning curve though. Going from KitKat to Nougat has been eye-opening. A lot of things I used to need root for are now part of Android (like unlocking the phone when connected to various devices), so I might not need to set up as many Llama events as I had before.

Really waiting for Xposed to be ready for Nougat.

Some of the built-in ones don't seem to work as well, but I'm still figuring Nougat out. :cool: