01-22-2017 04:23 AM
47 12
tools
    Is there a reason to root the Pixel's phones?
    10-12-2016 10:35 AM
    I would like to test the stock kernel. If it's not to my liking, I will throw on Franco kernel. After that, I'll probably throw Naptime on it too.
    curepute likes this.
    10-12-2016 10:38 AM
    I still use Root-only apps like ROOT EXPLORER, Titanium Backup, and TWRP
    cindylike24 likes this.
    10-15-2016 12:22 PM
    Removing bloatapp from a carrier i think
    cindylike24 likes this.
    10-15-2016 09:58 PM
    In the US all the carrier bloat added will be able to be deleted without root.
    On that note I will not be rooting my Pixel. As I'm getting older Google is providing me with a grown up phone.
    10-18-2016 07:42 PM
    I've been trying to decide whether I will or not, myself. I've rooted every phone I've had and ran custom ROMs on them. There's a good chance I'll end up attempting to do so on my Pixel.

But, what's stopping me is that I'd like to be able to play Nintendo's upcoming mobile games, and if their current apps are any indication, they actively try to stop rooted users from playing. I kinda miss playing Pokemon Go. I want to be able to play Super Mario Run, a bit. I know there are some workarounds, but honestly, I'm getting a little tired of having to take extra steps to keep using certain apps every time a developer pushes an update that blocks a root workaround.

That said, the main reason I still root is for ad blocking. I've had ad blocking on my phones for a very long time, and I remember HATING the way mobile ads affected my browsing. So if anything, this will be the big reason I end up rooting again. But, perhaps I'll wait and see just how annoying ads are for a bit. Maybe they've gotten less annoying...?
    cindylike24 likes this.
    10-18-2016 09:32 PM
    I've been trying to decide whether I will or not, myself. I've rooted every phone I've had and ran custom ROMs on them. There's a good chance I'll end up attempting to do so on my Pixel.

But, what's stopping me is that I'd like to be able to play Nintendo's upcoming mobile games, and if their current apps are any indication, they actively try to stop rooted users from playing. I kinda miss playing Pokemon Go. I want to be able to play Super Mario Run, a bit. I know there are some workarounds, but honestly, I'm getting a little tired of having to take extra steps to keep using certain apps every time a developer pushes an update that blocks a root workaround.

That said, the main reason I still root is for ad blocking. I've had ad blocking on my phones for a very long time, and I remember HATING the way mobile ads affected my browsing. So if anything, this will be the big reason I end up rooting again. But, perhaps I'll wait and see just how annoying ads are for a bit. Maybe they've gotten less annoying...?
    No they have actually gotten much worse... It seems like 75% of the Google now stories I read have very obtrusive pop-up apps warning you of viruses etc and you have to close the browser to get rid of them, then re-open the story. I have a non rootable phone now. And that is the number one reason I missed my 6p...Should have my pixel tomorrow...I hope. Come on Google shipppp
    10-19-2016 10:47 AM
    Hey guys I am wondering if someone can give me the necessary knowledge about rooting my 6p. I want to do it to unlock all the features the pixel has but literally have no idea where to start. how do I do it? What apps should I download? Should I back it up, will it erase all my content? Is it worth it or does it bring about issues? Do I still get updates or at least ways go update it?

Thanks sorry I know so much about tech but nothing about this lol
    10-22-2016 01:35 PM
    I used to root every phone I had starting with the HTC hero. Mainly because of missing features in stock Android, performance improvements from custom kernels and Roms, and the slowness of updates. Most of these are now non-issues for me. Current phone is more than fast enough and there are so many customization apps in the play store. YMMV of course.
    10-23-2016 10:19 AM
    Can you do dual boot with Pixel?
    10-23-2016 05:51 PM
    anybody has tried to root and flashed custom ROMs in their pixel? how is the experience compared to the nexus?
    10-23-2016 11:36 PM
    Hey guys I am wondering if someone can give me the necessary knowledge about rooting my 6p. I want to do it to unlock all the features the pixel has but literally have no idea where to start. how do I do it? What apps should I download? Should I back it up, will it erase all my content? Is it worth it or does it bring about issues? Do I still get updates or at least ways go update it?

Thanks sorry I know so much about tech but nothing about this lol
    Your post says the 6P?
    Here is a link to OEM unlock the 6P and root. It will wipe everything so backup your data.
    [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v2.1.4 [U… | Huawei Nexus 6P

If you mean the Pixel.....

Here is a toolkit...but again OEM unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone....
    [TOOL] SKIPSOFT ANDROID TOOLKIT -Google Pixe… | Google Pixel XL

Hope this helps.....
    10-24-2016 08:22 AM
    how do I do it?
    There are multiple ways to root. jamezr listed one possible way. Another would be to unlock the bootloader (this will wipe all data) install a custom recovery on the phone, and flash a super user file through recovery.

What apps should I download?
    Most of the time an app can't grant root access. The ones that can I don't trust, and are usually temp root anyway.

will it erase all my content?
    If the process unlocks the bootloader, yes.

Is it worth it or does it bring about issues?
    Rooting can open up many more options. Apps that require root access will be open to you.

Do I still get updates or at least ways go update it?
    Updates would be up to you to install. Once you are rooted OTAs will not happen, or if they do they can mess up the OS. (Reflashing the OS isn't hard on a Nexus)
    cindylike24 and alphacker4 like this.
    10-24-2016 09:54 AM
    I had to give up root on my S7, I've learned to live without it but most of the apps I use I paid for and AdBlock plus for the Samsung browser takes care of it there. I've also found that opera mini is good at blocking ads too. Otherwise if there's no bloat i don't have much reason to root these days.
    alphacker4 likes this.
    10-24-2016 02:33 PM
    Should I root Google pixel phones?
    10-25-2016 11:18 AM
    Should I root Google pixel phones?
    I don't really see why not. I am planning to myself.
    10-25-2016 01:18 PM
    In the US all the carrier bloat added will be able to be deleted without root.
    On that note I will not be rooting my Pixel. As I'm getting older Google is providing me with a grown up phone.
    I bought my pixel at my local Verizon store and it didn't have any of their apps installed on the phone.
    10-29-2016 09:13 PM
    I had to give up root on my S7, I've learned to live without it but most of the apps I use I paid for and AdBlock plus for the Samsung browser takes care of it there. I've also found that opera mini is good at blocking ads too. Otherwise if there's no bloat i don't have much reason to root these days.
    Is the S7 unable to be rooted? As an aside, Chainfire just released a root method for the Pixels last night on XDA.

It works well, but the method was a little different, due to the dual partitions of the Pixel.

Some root apps will need to be updated by their developers before they will work.
    10-30-2016 12:03 PM
    Whenever I root a phone and use custom roms, any custom roms, I find Google Maps takes too long to find location on startup. I won't put up with that anymore. I think it screws up banking apps too. Phones offer so much now I don't see the reason to bother. The only thing I miss is saving app settings in Titanium. It was fun flashing new roms. They often had great features but I don't have the patience for problems that usually emerged.
    10-30-2016 12:03 PM
    Is the S7 unable to be rooted? As an aside, Chainfire just released a root method for the Pixels last night on XDA.

It works well, but the method was a little different, due to the dual partitions of the Pixel.

Some root apps will need to be updated by their developers before they will work.
    It can be, I'm on the Sprint version but it just hasn't seemed real stable and there's only like one ROM.
    10-30-2016 12:07 PM
    Whenever I root a phone and use custom roms, any custom roms, I find Google Maps takes too long to find location on startup. I won't put up with that anymore. I think it screws up banking apps too. Phones offer so much now I don't see the reason to bother. The only thing I miss is saving app settings in Titanium. It was fun flashing new roms. They often had great features but I don't have the patience for problems that usually emerged.
    I'm in the same boat regarding custom Roms. I don't think I've used one for 3-4 years, but I'll still root and use the stock Rom, specifically for Titanium Backup and a few other apps.

I've never had issues with Google Maps or banking apps when rooting and keeping the stock rom.
    10-30-2016 12:12 PM
    Actually there is one reason I might root. I love my gear 2 (not s2) watch in part due to on board camera and ir blaster. The Gear 2 only works on Samsung phones. If I could get full and updated Gear 2 support with all functions and notifications on a Pixel I would root to get it. That said I'd prefer not to have to root and I doubt even with root if I could get full functionality.
    10-30-2016 12:21 PM
    I dont think its really needed phone is great
    11-01-2016 04:59 AM
    I did it on my Verizon XL. Realized it didn't need root, unrooted 5 minutes after rooting...
    11-02-2016 12:17 AM
    Ads have never bothered me too much, on certain sites I'd let them run even if I could block them (to support the site) and if a site is really that riddled with badly covered ads I'd just end up avoiding it...

Initially (with the first 3 HTC EVOs) I rooted for the customisation aspect and ROMs, but I'm over all that and even stock Android has adopted most of the early mods I really digged. I rooted my Nexus 5 mostly for free tethering (on Sprint) and Titanium...

Helium can be a suitable replacement for sync'ing game and some app data without root (what I used Titanium for), and most newer plans/carriers no longer charge extra for hotspot tethering, so I doubt I'll root my Pixel, never rooted my Nexus 7 either.

If you're considering it and don't know where to start my best advice is this: don't take shortcuts, don't use a toolkit unless absolutely necessary for your phone (not necessary for Google devices), and don't run around asking for advice right off the bat.

READ, research, figure or anything you don't understand, start experimenting (maybe ask questions then if you're really at a loss over something), and then read some more. If you're not willing to spend a few hours doing that (yes, hours), running a rooted phone really isn't advisable for you IMO.

May sound harsh, but it's just brutal honesty.

P.S. Even tho I rooted my N5 I basically kept it on the stock firmware and even the stock bootloader, so I could take OTAs... Not quite sure if that's possible or even advisable on the Pixel with the new partition system.
    taadow1030 likes this.
    11-02-2016 01:56 PM
47 12