Google cases

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've generally always preferred OEM cases, but I'm not sure which of the two at the Google Store I'll end up getting. I don't mind clear cases, and this one looks OK and has cut outs for the side buttons, but it seems very slim/thin and maybe flimsy. The ones available in multiple colors seem more rugged, but they look like cheap plastic cases for a child's toy phone. There's no black -- just a plasticky-looking gray. And no cut outs for the side buttons, which sometimes works out all right and sometimes does not. I'll probably end up getting the clear case, but I'm still on the fence somewhat.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting a live case for my mother (I put her grandkids on it). I'll let you know how that is to give you an idea.

I have the 6P carpet case and have liked it. I have a little bit of trouble taking screen shots with it on and the carpet is a bit worn, but it protects the phone well.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting a live case for my mother (I put her grandkids on it). I'll let you know how that is to give you an idea.

I have the 6P carpet case and have liked it. I have a little bit of trouble taking screen shots with it on and the carpet is a bit worn, but it protects the phone well.

Please report back on the live case. Looks kind of bulky in the back part in the photos, but if it isn't that might be the way that I would go. I have some cheap hold me over cases to play with before I make a decision. Also, I too have and like the "carpet case", I cleaned it the other day with 409, and it looks new again.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a live case for my 6P and won't get it for the xl again. It's too expensive. the case is very thin, but offer no protection from fall. The worst part to me is the back button is very hard to press against. I stopped using it and went back to my tpu case instead.

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I think I'll be going for the OEM case eventually, as I find most of the third-party ones gaudy.

I'm a little concerned about its specs, though. It lists the height as 19 mm. That can't be right. Right? It can't be adding over a centimeter in height.

(Created a thread on this in the non-XL accessory sub-forum before I realized that there were two accessory sub-forums. (Why?))

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
The Google-branded XL and non-XL cases are now available (in grey/gray only) through the store. I've ordered one for my XL and I'll report back when I get it.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I've never owned a silicone case that I can recall. For some reason I am picture a case that sticks to everything and collects lint. Is that to be expected with these google cases? I might pull the trigger on one but for $35 I want to be sure first.

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I posted this elsewhere but seems more appropriate here:

I got the official 'clear' official google case. It is not worth the price tag. I know lots of people never think official cases are wotrth their higher price but I am not normally in that camp for what it is worth and am happy to pay a premium for a well fitting OEM that is well made.

The official case is actually not clear, it is two tone, the top is clear and glossy and the bottom matte frosted. It looks nicer than it feels but I dont mind the look, my issue with the back is that the glossy part does create a subtle 'water/oil effect' where is makes contact with the glass top of the phone.

The case is slim, it does have a slight lip so you can lay it on a table but this is actually where my biggest quality gripe is, this feels really cheap. When your finger catch or rubs across that lip the case feels like a $2 case not a $30 case.

The case is nice, good form factor and a subtle way of keeping a two tone look if you like that. But this case is not worth the google premium price. I have a Spigen liquid crystal coming in tomorrow which I can compare to.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Please report back on the live case. Looks kind of bulky in the back part in the photos, but if it isn't that might be the way that I would go. I have some cheap hold me over cases to play with before I make a decision. Also, I too have and like the "carpet case", I cleaned it the other day with 409, and it looks new again.

I received the live case in about six days after ordering and it looked great. I put it on my mom's phone to try it on and almost couldn't get it off. (My siblings then put the case on again before my mom was able to insert her sim card, so I hope she can take it off!) This is not a case to change or remove often because it's got a great grip on the phone.

I'm still uncertain about how the picture on the back will hold up, but it was pretty awesome. I'm also concerned about the top and bottom edges of the phone, which remain quite exposed. If you're not dropping the phone onto asphalt, you'll probably be okay, but a rock or something like that could probably damage the corners.

That said, I am interested in getting this case for myself:
Case.jpg

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I too got the clear Google case. Pros - it's very minimalistic. Cons - offers only the most basic protection, it's expensive and.... it's getting scuffed up already. I'm reverting to my Tech21 clear.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I too got the clear Google case. Pros - it's very minimalistic. Cons - offers only the most basic protection, it's expensive and.... it's getting scuffed up already. I'm reverting to my Tech21 clear.

My clear case finally came this past Saturday and I was immensely disappointed. The plastic is cheap and flimsy and offers virtually no real protection. Looks aren't everything when it comes to cases.

I ordered the gray TPU case from Google, so we'll see (although since Google sends accessories via FedEx SmartPost, it'll be close to ten days before I get it). I really hope it's a decent case. I'm using the Spigen Slim Armor in the interim, but the lip on it is very sharp and hurts the ear when talking on the phone.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I very much prefer as little case as possible - I'm not in it for drop protection, just for surface protection, a little aesthetics, and grip. I really like the Bear Motion case for my XL. Extremely low profile, nice grip, subtle look. Obviously not the choice for all over protection, but it suits me just fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Slim-C...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5573084

I also got the Google clear case and was unimpressed by how easily it scratched, which marred the overall appearance, and how it really did not feel like a $30 phone case.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I just received the Google silicon case (in "gray," might as well be black). It's a very good case. I like the feel of the silicon -- smooth but not slippery, and grippy. My only complaint is the relative lack of protection for the bottom of the phone. The corners are protected, but the rest of the bottom is exposed. If it falls flush with whatever surface it's striking, the corners will protect it, but if it hits the edge of something (e.g., a desk, etc.), it could suffer damage.

Still, I don't regret getting it, and it's a vastly better OEM option that the crappy clear plastic case. I returned that and got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Crystal Clear case, which I recommend without hesitation if you're looking for a clear case.

Edit: one thing I've noticed with the Google silicon case -- the silicon covers what is likely a hard, thin plastic shell, which is lined on the inside with a thin, almost microfiber like material. There is no plastic shell underneath the volume button area, though, leaving just the silicon and lining in this part. It flips away from the phone quite easily here. I first thought I had a defective case, but the fact that it is directly on top of the volume buttons cannot be coincidence. The power button is covered up normally, however (and works fine), so I'm wondering what the point of the non-stiff area on top of the volume button is. .

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63