rhino shield for pixel xl

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping that if you get a case/bumper and protector from the same company, maybe some of the fitment issues will be resolved. I would also prefer less as better. I liked the spigen liquad crystal on my n7. I liked that but was waiting on enough reviews to choose. we all know how that ended... twice.
without much thought i figured my pixel xl was flat. I bought a cheap clear case like the spigen i had but its more bulky then i would want. slightly so but in the end if i dont like the protection, at some point it comes off. the free zagg thing i got on my second note lasted about 8 hours.

i am currently using a a dctle. its fine. but the spigen was less rounded and contoured or mimicked the phone more but lacked a good combo. at least for the n7. i am still looking.

the rhino intreeging because its only a bumper, has the combo and still provides protection.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping that if you get a case/bumper and protector from the same company, maybe some of the fitment issues will be resolved.

Getting a edge-to-edge fit is mostly an issue for glass screen protectors and the difficulty of manufacturing them to overlay a screen with curved edges. I had good success with IntelliArmor on my Nexus 6, do will be looking to them this time around as well, as my preference runs to retaining the feel and ease of cleaning of glass. If that doesn't work, I'll likely go with RhinoShield's film protector, which should be a (close to) edge-to-edge solution as fitting to curves is much easier with film than glass.

njgill05

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough I just received my Rhinoshield Crashguard bumper and wasn't a big fan of how it felt in my hand. I really liked the design and how the phone looked in it. It was just a few millimeters too wide to hold comfortably so I'll be going back to the clear TPU case until I find something perfect.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the bumper and screen protector. Should arrive shortly, but I don't have the phone. I'm on the Thanksgiving delivery schedule. From my experience with the 5X & 6P they are very good. The screen protector doesn't go quite edge to edge but very close. The bumper is just large enough to do its job (keep the front and back from scraping surfaces and impact protection). I've dropped the phones a few times from 3-6'. No damage or problems.

Evolutive Labs has great customer service. They respond quickly and have always been cheerful and friendly in their communications.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
look, feel, compatibility. does the screen protector go to the end of the screen? close to the bumber?

These are now up on Amazon. Unfortunately, the consensus of the reviews is that the SP doesn't go edge-to-edge on the face of the phone, and in fact doesn't quite even cover the full width of the display portion. Hopefully they revise these to cover a bit more; otherwise, this is a no-go for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDNWN9D/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5530049

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
it does look to wide. I wish they had a less protective version.

Compared to my Spigen Rugged Armor (which is a pretty slim fit), the Rhinoguard bumper eyeballs in about 0.5-1.0mm bigger in each dimension. It's noticeable compared to the naked phone, but gives great grip and still isn't bulky. I'm coming from a Nexus 6, though, so YMMV.

The degree of protection the bumper is reviewed as providing (at least for other products to date) is insane, and nothing comes close in such a slim profile. My only gripe is that the buttons don't feel as responsive as on the Spigen (which feels just like the actual buttons), but they're not bad.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Drop tested to 11ft, yes. Lifeproof only claims 6.6ft. I've dropped my 6X from about 5ft with damage or problems.

I agree the buttons are more difficult to press, but the buttons are pretty minimal to begin with. There is a bit of trade off vis-a-vis the added protection of the bumper.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Drop tested to 11ft, yes. Lifeproof only claims 6.6ft. I've dropped my 6X from about 5ft with damage or problems.

I agree the buttons are more difficult to press, but the buttons are pretty minimal to begin with. There is a bit of trade off vis-a-vis the added protection of the bumper.

Just curious - damage from a 6' drop in the LifeProof or the CrashGuard?

As to the buttons, won't be as big an annoyance as I thought, since I rarely use the power button (waking phone via FPS), and don't adjust volume that often. Will probably end up using the CrashGuard long-term so long as it plays nicely with the dbrand skin I have coming (definitely want to protect the back glass since it appears from all the reports of it scratching so easily that it may not be Gorilla Glass 4 as Google advertised).

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
look, feel, compatibility. does the screen protector go to the end of the screen? close to the bumber?

I had the Rhinoshield for my 6p and it was my favorite "case" and I used it exclusively with the 6p. No screen protector though. I loved out it fit and protected the device.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just curious - damage from a 6' drop in the LifeProof or the CrashGuard?

CrashGuard is drop tested at 11'.
Lifeproof is drop tested at 6.6'.

CrashGuard works fine with dbrand skins. The skins can shift and move around. Particularly the edges have a tendency to move when I take the bumper off.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams