Google Pixelbook

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a rumored device to launch on October 4th along with the new Pixel phones, and a renewed Google Home.

This convertible laptop will, without surprise, come at a high price. Rumored to start at $1150 for 128 GB of storage going as high as $1750 for 512 GB.

From the article on AC: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixelbook

Sure, all this is still in the air for a couple more weeks. Hopefully, we will find out more on the 4th.

Thoughts on this new device?

I think it is a half step in the right direction. The price will keep a lot of people away.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Excuse me while I clean up my drooling.:p

I'm guessing this is meant to be a reference device (like previous Chromebook Pixels), and perhaps will spur other manufacturers to come up with similar devices (that cost less).

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It looks pretty cool and I'm definitely interested in getting one but will wait to see what the full list of specs are before. Also kinda wish the entry level storage option was 256gb. I know OEMs all want to put super fast flash storage in but I wouldn't mind having slightly slower flash storage if I could have double the storage side 😃

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on a Pixel C and have enjoyed it a lot over the last two years. More than happy to upgrade to this Pixelbook if it does happen.

Prices seem pretty steep, but I plan on keeping it for a few years, so should work out ok.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on a Pixel C and have enjoyed it a lot over the last two years. More than happy to upgrade to this Pixelbook if it does happen.

Prices seem pretty steep, but I plan on keeping it for a few years, so should work out ok.
Are you getting the base storage model?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you getting the base storage model?
Yeah I will be. 128gb will be plenty for me. The Pixel C only had 32gb and I never used it all. I have everything on Google cloud services (photos, videos, music etc) so I don't need the 256/512 gb storage.

Hoping this time round they get the software working right from the start as the Pixel C had issues at release.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hoping this time round they get the software working right from the start as the Pixel C had issues at release.

The main difference here is that it'll be running Chrome OS, not Android (although it will presumably have Android app support out of the box). The Stable Chrome channel has been rock-steady for me, but you always the option of changing to the Beta or Dev channel to see what they're working on.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The main difference here is that it'll be running Chrome OS, not Android (although it will presumably have Android app support out of the box). The Stable Chrome channel has been rock-steady for me, but you always the option of changing to the Beta or Dev channel to see what they're working on.

Oh right. Well in that case, this will be my first Chrome OS device too then.

Assuming it runs Android apps, how well does it run them? As stable as android phone apps are?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll let others answer that, since I'm still patiently waiting for that ability to come to my Acer CB5-571 and Lenovo Thinkpad 13 Chromebooks ...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I know, I know. If ya gotta ask and all that, but still.

Serious question: What makes this Pixelbook worth the $1150 - $1750 price range? (I mean other than physical build quality & materials) You can pick up a mighty decent & highly portable Windows laptop for that kind of money. So what's the draw of a Chrome OS notebook that runs Android apps?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know, I know. If ya gotta ask and all that, but still.

Serious question: What makes this Pixelbook worth the $1150 - $1750 price range? (I mean other than physical build quality & materials) You can pick up a mighty decent & highly portable Windows laptop for that kind of money. So what's the draw of a Chrome OS notebook that runs Android apps?

For the original Pixel Chromebooks it was the spec sheet, build quality, etc. The appeal of ChromeOS, with or without Android, over Windows is that it's much more secure, it's a much lighter OS, it performs much better than Windows on like hardware, etc. A $2000 Windows laptop is going to be a very good laptop, providing that the customer does a bit of research and doesn't choose something that's just terribad garbage being covered up by shiny numbers in the spec sheet. An $1150 Chromebook I would expect to have very similar specs and to have performance that's on par.

There are two types of people that should be choosing Windows 10 (full version) over ChromeOS on laptops: Those who are seriously into PC gaming, yet still want to do so on a laptop for unknown reasons and those who need very specific applications that are only available on desktop. Examples of that include... pretty close to nothing. 7 years ago there was a big gap in the apps available, but Photoshop, Office, most everything that normal consumers are using are all available on ChromeOS now or through their own webapps, which obviously work in a browser.

In addition to security, Google also has a MUCH better privacy policy than Microsoft, who gives themselves permission to and actually does share user data with third parties in exchange for compensation. Google denies themselves that permission and actually sticks to their guns on it.

The more direct comparison, Windows 10 S vs Chromebook, Windows 10 S comes out looking like garbage because the Windows store sucks, it's apps are largely made up of total crap, spyware, etc while the largest app makers simply aren't supporting that system and it's still filled with many of the same security flaws as regular windows. In addition, somewhere around 4 times as many people choose Chrome over Edge and over 11 times as many people use Google to search rather than Bing. If you have to be restricted to one or the other, Chrome is the obvious better choice.

For me personally, it depends on what I need it for. Anything that I do that isn't gaming is going to be easy to do on ChromeOS, assuming I can get a Chromebook with sufficient power for graphics to watch movies occasionally. And for gaming, even the best gaming laptops suck compared to a comparably priced gaming PC, so my personal preference is a Windows PC and a Chromebook.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
^^^This ought to be a blog post.
I think you mean a guest Editor's Desk article!

OK. I'd have to see for myself how well desktop apps, esp. Adobe InDesign, work on Chrome OS before I took the plunge myself. Then again, I can't think of any Adobe apps I wouldn't rather use on a desktop attached to at least one honkin' big monitor.

So my TL;DR take away re. Chrome OS/Pixelbook boils down to security, privacy, web integration, anything's better than the Windows Store, and comfort in knowing that nobody's sticking you with a 25W power supply or suchlike crapola. Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think you mean a guest Editor's Desk article!

OK. I'd have to see for myself how well desktop apps, esp. Adobe InDesign, work on Chrome OS before I took the plunge myself. Then again, I can't think of any Adobe apps I wouldn't rather use on a desktop attached to at least one honkin' big monitor.

So my TL;DR take away re. Chrome OS/Pixelbook boils down to security, privacy, web integration, anything's better than the Windows Store, and comfort in knowing that nobody's sticking you with a 25W power supply or suchlike crapola. Thanks.

Exactly. The way I use laptops, they're perfect. The stuff I want to do more... I get a desktop PC.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
In for a penny, in for a pound. The instant tethering business got me. My Halloween treat will be Chrome OS on a new Pixelbook to keep my XL company. Any recommendations of apps and whatnot will be greatly appreciated.