Should I get a pixel book?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What makes it better though than other Chromebooks that cost less?

Oh, you can do pretty much the exact same things on a Chromebook 1/3 of the price of a Pixelbook. It just won't feel as nice. The screen and keyboard are best in class, the materials are luxurious, and the build is impeccable. It's like the difference between driving a Honda and a Bentley.

I'd bet the majority of Macbook Pro owners use it just like they would a Chromebook, and they're spending significantly more for the potential they'll never use. So the price of a Pixelbook doesn't look so outrageous in comparison.

Last time I was on their site the pen is on a free promo

Yeah, I saw that. Got mine too soon! But I seriously don't think I'd ever use the Pen.

I'm wondering if I should get the cheapest model as opposed to the middle one though someone else is paying for it

Unless you're doing some heavy duty development, the lowest spec'd model should give you power and space to burn.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh, you can do pretty much the exact same things on a Chromebook 1/3 of the price of a Pixelbook. It just won't feel as nice. The screen and keyboard are best in class, the materials are luxurious, and the build is impeccable. It's like the difference between driving a Honda and a Bentley.

I'd bet the majority of Macbook Pro owners use it just like they would a Chromebook, and they're spending significantly more for the potential they'll never use. So the price of a Pixelbook doesn't look so outrageous in comparison.

Yeah, I saw that. Got mine too soon! But I seriously don't think I'd ever use the Pen.

Unless you're doing some heavy duty development, the lowest spec'd model should give you power and space to burn.
Not worried about processing...just storage which is all the 200 gets you

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I think I'm going to run to Best buy to look at it before I pull the trigger.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was just going to look but I guess I could buy there.... I assume it's still serviced the same way but maybe RMAs are different.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You probably can't buy Google's Device Protection if you go through Best Buy, but in my experience, Chromebooks are less prone to failure or damage than phones. So I typically only get extra insurance for phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You probably can't buy Google's Device Protection if you go through Best Buy, but in my experience, Chromebooks are less prone to failure or damage than phones. So I typically only get extra insurance for phones.

Yes...I'm aware but I wasn't going to bother with insurance

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hell yeah you can. I upgraded from a surface pro 3 to a pixelbook and glad I did. I was using my windows tablet just for surfing the web, Netflix, streaming other content etc. I'm able to do all that with the pixelbook and there is wayyy more variety of apps on the google PlayStore vs windows app store. I also have a pixel 2 XL and I'm able to do everything on the pixelbook the same way except making cell calls. I love how I can have the same apps on both devices.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I am just debating on if I should get a one or wait, I have a windows personal laptop and I basically never use it for anything other than movies, Can I do everything on the pixelbook that I currently do on my pixel XL phone? Will all of my apps work, will Netflix and Hulu work? Does it work well using a mouse?

Please share your good and bad experiences to help me decide,, thanks

Android apps on ChromeOS are still hit and miss. Some work like real apps (windowed mode, or full screen). Others only work like phone apps. They are kind of small windows and questionably useful.

I mean you can watch netflix in chrome so you don't really need that app, but yeah.

I love my Pixelbook but it is kind of weird as a tablet because of the huge bezels and then the folded over keyboard. Although it ignores input in tablet mode, it's still weird to be holding it and randomly pressing buttons so I honestly don't use it as a tablet.

It is pretty great though and I have no real complaints other than that tablet mode and iffy android app support. I think devs will more than likely start optimizing their apps for chrome os now that its getting more popular.

Like others have said, battery life is pretty great, build quality is great, keyboard is clicky and responsive.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone running Crossover and MS Office 2016/365 apps for the Pixelbook? If so how's the performance of OneNote on it? I wouldn't mind jumping to a Pixelbook from my old android tablet (galaxy Note Pro) if I could also make the jump to better versions of MS apps yet still retain the ability to run android apps as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair