Play Movies doesn't work

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Play Movies is preinstalled but doesn't play any movies. Based on my internet searches seems to be a known issue. The Chrome extension version works fine so I installed it. Movies Anywhere will play the movies I own so go figure. Hopefully Google will fix it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We talked about this offline, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in here:

My Google Play Movies Android app works fine on my Pixelbook -- but this was after I first uninstalled it, and then reinstalled it to see if I could duplicate Mike's problem. Since it does work normally on mine, I wonder if it had to do with uninstalling the version that came with the Pixelbook. Or maybe I'm just special.:p

Another thing is to make sure Android System Webview is up to date.

In any case, I find that the Chrome app version of Play Movies works just fine (and is more optimized for the Chromebook screen). That's why I uninstalled the Android app pretty soon after I got the Pixelbook (along with the other Google Play Android apps like Play Books and Play Music).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

My Google Play Movies Android app works fine on my Pixelbook -- but this was after I first uninstalled it, and then reinstalled it to see if I could duplicate Mike's problem. Since it does work normally on mine, I wonder if it had to do with uninstalling the version that came with the Pixelbook. Or maybe I'm just special.:p

In any case, I find that the Chrome app version of Play Movies works just fine (and is more optimized for the Chromebook screen). That's why I uninstalled the Android app pretty soon after I got the Pixelbook (along with the other Google Play Android apps like Play Books and Play Music).

Mine works one or two times then stops so you might want to check that it still works. The only thing that fixes it is a power wash but that just works for one or two attempts. Interesting term for a factory reset. I'll just use the chrome version for now.

Last edited:

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
So you're saying you were able to watch 2 shows and then it stopped working. I just tried for the first time and so far 10 mintutes in the movie and it's still working. In April I'll be traveling and want to be able to watch a few movies on it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So you're saying you were able to watch 2 shows and then it stopped working. I just tried for the first time and so far 10 mintutes in the movie and it's still working. In April I'll be traveling and want to be able to watch a few movies on it.

Never watched them in full.....I'm referring to the play store app. The chrome version is fine.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Is your play store app still working?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Last I checked, yes -- but I'm not really running any Android apps so far, and it's just updating the Google and Android System Webview apps on a regular basis.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I can check again -- are you still talking about the Play Movies app?

EDIT: Just reinstalled the Play Movies Android app, and it still works fine. Haven't tried watching a movie for an extended period of time, but it skips around without difficulty.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

EDIT: Just reinstalled the Play Movies Android app, and it still works fine. Haven't tried watching a movie for an extended period of time, but it skips around without difficulty.

Bugs the hell out of me....I doubt my unit is defective

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I found where it's a known issue.... Don't understand why it doesn't affect everyone....Google's workaround is to use chrome

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe try a Powerwash, or reinstall the system?

It works twice after a power wash but I never watch a whole movie then crashes again when you try it a third time.
I think a full reinstall is a bit drastic at this point....most likely it's the app but just weird

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think a full reinstall is a bit drastic at this point.

But even so, it wouldn't take too long to do a recovery reinstall of the OS -- when I've done it in the past, it's taken maybe 20-30 minutes tops (including downloading the recovery image to a USB drive). Such a huge difference from reinstalling Windows, which can be a multi-day endeavor.:)

If I have the opportunity, I'll try watching a couple of full length movies on the app to see if it crashes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But even so, it wouldn't take too long to do a recovery reinstall of the OS -- when I've done it in the past, it's taken maybe 20-30 minutes tops (including downloading the recovery image to a USB drive). Such a huge difference from reinstalling Windows, which can be a multi-day endeavor.:)

If I have the opportunity, I'll try watching a couple of full length movies on the app to see if it crashes.
I hear ya.... I might attempt it on the weekend. Got a full plate right now...lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Official Responses from Google...They seem to be aware of the problem and when I expressed my views about re-imaging most likely not being necessary because I didn't think it would solve the problem they kind of agreed.

Screenshot 2018-02-22 at 10.51.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2018-02-22 at 10.55.08 PM.png

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It's working fine after the last system update.