One of the great things about Chrome OS is the ease of making a website look and feel like a standalone application. Although many sites also provide standalone apps that present content in a custom way, they often don't provide all of the features available when visiting the website directly. (Facebook is a perfect example)

Here's how I create web apps on my Pixelbook for sites that I regularly visit... (SimpleNote is the example, these steps work for any Chromebook)

STEP 1. Load the site in Chrome
    STEP 2. Click on the "hamburger" -> More tools... -> Create Shortcut...
    Breaking out of the browser box...-create-shortcut.png

at this point, a new icon appears in Shelf...

STEP 3. Right-click on the shortcut -> click on the "twistie" -> select "New Window"
    Breaking out of the browser box...-open-window.png

That's it! Click on the icon in the shelf and it'll launch in a separate window.
    Breaking out of the browser box...-shortcut-opened-window.png

I wish that Google had a setting to default all shortcuts to "New Window" by default. The first thing that I do whenever I get a new chromebook (almost as soon as I get one, I end up giving it away to someone who needs a computer) is to go through all of the shortcuts, right-click, and set them to "New Window" ("Open as Window" in Chrome OS earlier than version 70)

I also install the Open-as-Popup Chrome extension so that I can switch any existing tab in the browser to be a standalone window without the browser controls.

I've set up shortcuts for the MS Office web apps. The look and feel is that very similar to the desktop versions. I ended up uninstalling the Android versions since they are so severely limited in functionality. I did the same for the web version of iWork... Here's Pages on the web. Whether I need to work with Office, iWork, or Google Docs files, I can easily do it on the Pixelbook with only the occasional need to do some work on my iMac.
    Breaking out of the browser box...-pages-web.png
    billchat and DMP89145 like this.
    12-20-2018 06:00 AM
    How did you handle the Office apps default document when doing this? I get the "something went wrong" message
    12-31-2018 02:34 PM
    Like that I figured it out - LOL
    12-31-2018 02:47 PM
    How did you handle the Office apps default document when doing this? I get the "something went wrong" message
    I don't experience any issues, sorry. #shrug

At what point are you creating the shortcut? From the file selection page or when a particular document is open?

glad to hear that you got it sorted out.
    12-31-2018 02:51 PM