M8 Google Play Edition Initial Thoughts

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So I've got this phone up and running now and I really like it. It's replacing my Nexus 5, so it isn't really MUCH different from it. A few things I've noticed about it:

1) The screen is absolutely beautiful. I liked the screen on the Nexus 5, but it pales in comparison to this one. It's the best screen on a mobile device that I've ever seen.

2) This thing is loud. It's so loud that it even slightly distorts the sound the phone makes when turning up the volume. The Boom Sound speakers really do match their name. I had to turn my speakerphone down to the 2nd lowest setting where on my Nexus 5 it was usually all the way up or at least close to it.

3) The alarm clock icon bug is still present, so I think it's a KitKat issue. When leaving a call and the phone goes back into LTE, the alarm clock icon disappears for a second and then comes back on once you're back in LTE. My Nexus 5 did this, too. Not a big deal, but just something I've noticed.

4) I think battery life is better, but I've been playing with it so much that it's hard to tell at this stage in the game.

5) I'm pretty sure I like it more than the Nexus 5. I like the little additions from HTC and the build, screen, sound, etc. I'm not 100% sure if this is worth the extra $300 over the Nexus 5, but I overall I like it more.

I'd love to have some discussion on this with some people who have it or are looking at buying it.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Got mine literally 10 minutes ago and just started it up. Also have a Nexus 5, will provide my impressions after spending some more time with it. One thing I can say immediately is that the build quality feels amazing compared to the N5.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Got mine literally 10 minutes ago and just started it up. Also have a Nexus 5, will provide my impressions after spending some more time with it. One thing I can say immediately is that the build quality feels amazing compared to the N5.

I completely agree with the quality statement. Not that the Nexus was garbage, but this feels like such a high quality phone. I hate to say it, but reminds me of my iOS days.

ramandeepghuman

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with the quality statement. Not that the Nexus was garbage, but this feels like such a high quality phone. I hate to say it, but reminds me of my iOS days.

Withoutba doubt so much better than the nexus 5! Its like a complete nexus device. High quality audio expandable memory excellent camera and unique case and universal remote lol. Winnnn

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Withoutba doubt so much better than the nexus 5! Its like a complete nexus device. High quality audio expandable memory excellent camera and unique case and universal remote lol. Winnnn

Yeah. That's kind of my impression too. Have you noticed that changing the volume sounds a little different like I said in the OP? I think it sounds almost like it's too loud and distorts. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but kind of wanted some other opinions. It very well could just be the different speakers compared to the Nexus 5 as it sounds so much different. Just want to make sure I don't have any issues with my speakers.

ramandeepghuman

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. That's kind of my impression too. Have you noticed that changing the volume sounds a little different like I said in the OP? I think it sounds almost like it's too loud and distorts. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but kind of wanted some other opinions. It very well could just be the different speakers compared to the Nexus 5 as it sounds so much different. Just want to make sure I don't have any issues with my speakers.
Oh ya def some songs in sound cloud will distort on full blast I have to turn it down 2 taps to best quality. It happens in certain songs and videos. Like doesn't happen in a certain app only. I use SoundCloud beast music YouTube and Google play music.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh ya def some songs in sound cloud will distort on full blast I have to turn it down 2 taps to best quality. It happens in certain songs and videos. Like doesn't happen in a certain app only. I use SoundCloud beast music YouTube and Google play music.

Yeah, I think some sounds just aren't prepared for these speakers. Nothing distorted on the Nexus, but it also didn't get half as loud as this. I just wanted to make sure that nothing was wrong with it.

Jonnie Miller1

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had this phone for 3 days and I absolutely hate it. Of course leaving a Samsung Note 2 there is no comparison. Having a lot of options in the picture gallery in my opinion just isn't worth it you spend too much time pushing buttons just to get a cool picture. The swipe with your palm to take a screenshot is not available and I for the life of me cannot hardly get the screenshot to come up with a power button and volume button or power button and home button. This phone freezes constantly and there you are. Just now it wouldn't allow to delete text. Keyboard sucks. It throws up all kinds of weird predictions. Only things I like are the speakers looking at you but agree turn it down or it sounds awful. The video option e still pics n music. Ummm. Nothing else comes to mind. This is junk next to Samsung note 2. Nothing outdoes their performance and ease and options. Just not impressed.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone for 3 days and I absolutely hate it. Of course leaving a Samsung Note 2 there is no comparison. Having a lot of options in the picture gallery in my opinion just isn't worth it you spend too much time pushing buttons just to get a cool picture. The swipe with your palm to take a screenshot is not available and I for the life of me cannot hardly get the screenshot to come up with a power button and volume button or power button and home button. This phone freezes constantly and there you are. Just now it wouldn't allow to delete text. Keyboard sucks. It throws up all kinds of weird predictions. Only things I like are the speakers looking at you but agree turn it down or it sounds awful. The video option e still pics n music. Ummm. Nothing else comes to mind. This is junk next to Samsung note 2. Nothing outdoes their performance and ease and options. Just not impressed.

So go buy a Samsung. Personally I can't stand the lagginess of Touchwiz but the good thing is there are options out there depending on your personal preference.

I've had the phone since Friday and haven't had any of those problems. So far it's awesome with a three minor things; one software released and two hardware releated.

1. With polarized sunglasses you can't see the screen in normal vertical mode, you have to turn it to landscape to see the screen. This really sucks as I have a car holder for navigation. I'll probably just get new sunglasses to fix this issue but worth pointing out.

2. The double-tap-to-wake feature only works when the phone is not lying flat, i.e. you can't tap on the screen to wake up the phone when it's lying on a desk.

3. 2. This is all software related but I'm seeing a lot of awake time vs. deep sleep time. Been finding whatever ghost process is keeping the phone awake and think it was Facebook Messenger, will see later today.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So go buy a Samsung. Personally I can't stand the lagginess of Touchwiz but the good thing is there are options out there depending on your personal preference.

I've had the phone since Friday and haven't had any of those problems. So far it's awesome with a three minor things; one software released and two hardware releated.

1. With polaroid sunglasses you can't see the screen in normal vertical mode, you have to turn it to landscape to see the screen. This really sucks as I have a car holder for navigation. I'll probably just get new sunglasses to fix this issue but worth pointing out.

2. The double-tap-to-wake feature only works when the phone is not lying flat, i.e. you can't tap on the screen to wake up the phone when it's lying on a desk.

3. 2. This is all software related but I'm seeing a lot of awake time vs. deep sleep time. Been finding whatever ghost process is keeping the phone awake and think it was Facebook Messenger, will see later today.

I've noticed the double tap thing. But I heard the Sense version is the same way. I noticed a little bit of my email keeping the phone awake, but I force closed it and haven't noticed anything since. A couple issues I've noticed, as said above, are:

1) the volume is so loud that it almost distorts some stuff, which is especially noticeable when you change the volume - it's distinctly different than the Nexus 5.

2) I've had a ton of difficulty getting MMS from people with iPhones. They keep showing up as "hidden sender address" and the only app I can see them in is Textra. I was using 8sms, but I've switched back to Hangouts to see if this works.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the double tap thing. But I heard the Sense version is the same way. I noticed a little bit of my email keeping the phone awake, but I force closed it and haven't noticed anything since. A couple issues I've noticed, as said above, are:

1) the volume is so loud that it almost distorts some stuff, which is especially noticeable when you change the volume - it's distinctly different than the Nexus 5.

2) I've had a ton of difficulty getting MMS from people with iPhones. They keep showing up as "hidden sender address" and the only app I can see them in is Textra. I was using 8sms, but I've switched back to Hangouts to see if this works.

I've been using Textra since I got the phone but was actually considering switching to Hangouts for SMS as I user it for chat already and it would be one less so that sticks battery (although I think I've solved the keep awake issue I had).

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Textra since I got the phone but was actually considering switching to Hangouts for SMS as I user it for chat already and it would be one less so that sticks battery (although I think I've solved the keep awake issue I had).

I like Textra, but I wish it had more of a KitKat look and feel. If it had that I'd use it exclusively. I think I'll stick to Hangouts for now, but I haven't got an MMS to be able to check that issue again.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I year ya Wildo6882, Textra does need a UI update.

I can personally attest to the build quality of this phone. Dropped it from my bathroom counter onto the tile floor and not a single scratch/dent. I don't use a cover and was positively surprised that it doesn't show any signs of the drop.

I've encountered one issue and that is that sometimes the phone seem to turn on when it's in my pocket. I've taken the phone out and sometimes the camera app is running, another time the web browser was running. Anyone else having this problem?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I year ya Wildo6882, Textra does need a UI update.

I can personally attest to the build quality of this phone. Dropped it from my bathroom counter onto the tile floor and not a single scratch/dent. I don't use a cover and was positively surprised that it doesn't show any signs of the drop.

I've encountered one issue and that is that sometimes the phone seem to turn on when it's in my pocket. I've taken the phone out and sometimes the camera app is running, another time the web browser was running. Anyone else having this problem?

I haven't had that issue at all. I have noticed that my speakers seem to really distort some stuff. Tried another M8 GPE and they didn't distort as bad. I'm starting to think I got some bum speakers with this one. Not looking forward to doing an RMA.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had that issue at all. I have noticed that my speakers seem to really distort some stuff. Tried another M8 GPE and they didn't distort as bad. I'm starting to think I got some bum speakers with this one. Not looking forward to doing an RMA.

Haven't had problems with distorted sound. Tried playing a song on Spotify at max volume and it sounds loud and clear. Unfortunately sounds like an RMA is in your near future.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Haven't had problems with distorted sound. Tried playing a song on Spotify at max volume and it sounds loud and clear. Unfortunately sounds like an RMA is in your near future.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. So I can't figure out if I should do it or not. It's also worst when you change the volume - the sound that the phone makes when you change volume distorts a lot. Which I find to be weird.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. So I can't figure out if I should do it or not. It's also worst when you change the volume - the sound that the phone makes when you change volume distorts a lot. Which I find to be weird.

I've tried it a bunch of times now and I can hear a little bit of distortion when increasing the volume, especially when setting it to the highest levels. It's like the sound itself is badly sampled but at least on my phone it's in no way really bad as you describe it.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've tried it a bunch of times now and I can hear a little bit of distortion when increasing the volume, especially when setting it to the highest levels. It's like the sound itself is badly sampled but at least on my phone it's in no way really bad as you describe it.

Yeah, that's definitely where I heard it. Thought I heard something on a song, but then I played some music from Play Music on full blast and haven't heard anything else. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me after hearing the distortion in the sound volume. If that's the only issue I can probably deal with it. Especially if others have it, and it doesn't happen all the time. It could be a bad recording that just doesn't work with the speakers on this phone. Maybe I'll hold off on the RMA.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
It could be a bad recording that just doesn't work with the speakers on this phone. Maybe I'll hold off on the RMA.

That's what it sounds like to me because I can definitely hear it now that I know what to listen for. Not always but if you volume up/down enough times you can definitely hear something that sounds a little distorted.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Changing gears a little and people have mentioned this before but the battery life on the M8 is AMAZING compared to the N5. I was lucky to get 3.5h of screen time with the N5 and here's a screenshot of the M8 from last night (with Google Now, High Accuracy location, push emails for three accounts). I do use Greenify to hibernate offending apps like Facebook, FB Messenger, Twitter and others. It's also rooted with Xposed Framework+Gravity installed but still running stock ROM and kernel.

phone.png