Lollipop OTA (GPE)

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
That's about right. Or, it could be all the animations that Google added to Android. I know Apple moved away from overly animated transitions several versions ago, and that helped. I might look to see if that can be turned off.

But, yeah. Doesn't seem as smooth.

It can. In Developer Mode.

Posted via Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You guys are right, it feels a lot faster without the heavy animations but still not nearly as smooth and responsive as Kit-Kat was. @Benjamin_NYC I was very disappointed, too, because I had high expectations ever since I heard about Android L, ART runtime, and all of that. Maybe in the future updates it will get better, or at least I hope so.

Mteuzi

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
The OTA Lollipop 5.01 update has killed my HTC One M8 GPe. It's so slow that it's practically unusable... very frustrating. WiFi only works intermittently now. It seems that it's not closing apps in the background and the memory is filling up (key word: seems). Every time I restart the device it wants to optimize 1 of 1 apps for 5+ minutes.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

EWY

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
One issue with this update on M8. Every time I reboot the phone. It displays a windows stating Upgrading and optimizing 1 app of 1. It would take about 5 minutes or more of the M8 to get to the Home screen. This is strange as I have about the same apps on my N4, and the N4 boots into the Home screen without any issue. Other than this long boot up time, I do not see much difference in performance with this update.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
The OTA Lollipop 5.01 update has killed my HTC One M8 GPe. It's so slow that it's practically unusable... very frustrating. WiFi only works intermittently now. It seems that it's not closing apps in the background and the memory is filling up (key word: seems). Every time I restart the device it wants to optimize 1 of 1 apps for 5+ minutes.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Something is broken in your update. It should only optimize once. I'd wipe and reinstall.

Posted via the Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
One issue with this update on M8. Every time I reboot the phone. It displays a windows stating Upgrading and optimizing 1 app of 1. It would take about 5 minutes or more of the M8 to get to the Home screen. This is strange as I have about the same apps on my N4, and the N4 boots into the Home screen without any issue. Other than this long boot up time, I do not see much difference in performance with this update.

Also something broken in your update. Factory reset.

mmaestro

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'd been going to wait for the update to be pushed to me so I didn't have to redo all my apps on my phone (never unlocked the bootloader, so because that's a necessary step even for pushing the OTA, it means I need to do a wipe), but now I'm wondering if I should just flatten things anyway to get a clean slate.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'd been going to wait for the update to be pushed to me so I didn't have to redo all my apps on my phone (never unlocked the bootloader, so because that's a necessary step even for pushing the OTA, it means I need to do a wipe), but now I'm wondering if I should just flatten things anyway to get a clean slate.

I always advocate a fresh start.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I always advocate a fresh start.

Agreed. When I get time, I'll do a clean install to see if that helps. But considering how much has changed, it wouldn't surprise me if a few updates get pushed before this runs "buttery" smooth again.

lschen

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else not gotten the OTA? I have an "natural" GPe, that is unlocked and rooted, but has the stock recovery re-installed, but have not gotten the update yet. Just wondering if it is me, or still slow rollout.

(It isn't s-off'ed, so I'm waiting on the official update instead of sideloading the OTA.)

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it should be taking this long for the OTA to arrive on your phone. I got it on Dec 9th, just 4 days after the release. I'm using an unadulterated stock, non-rooted GPe device, with s-on.

Last edited:

Miro R

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I have not yet received a Lollipop OTA yet (it's March 11 !!). I have not rooted my phone, basically did nothing out of ordinary with it.

Just realized that it probably is the fact that I had replaced the handset using HTC one replacement policy. The device I got is still HTC One M8 GPe but I got it from HTC and not from Google.

I think I'll try forcing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs