WIFI - "Avoided poor intenet connection"

Tristan Conway

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Since the update my WIFI has stopped working. I've tried a bunch of fixes from around the internet, such as renaming my device in the wifi direct area, cycling my router restarting my phone in safe mode, turning air plane mode on and off. Nothing has helped. Anyone have ideas? It's getting really frustrating and racking up my data usage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Wi-fi​, tap Menu>Advanced, and uncheck Auto Switch to Mobile. Also turn off Wi-fi Optimization, since that's more for optimizing battery usage, not wi-fi reception.

rwlade

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Still have ver 5.01 and no "auto switch to mobile" option. Using VZN as carrier. And a little off subject, I've tried rebooting phone and router and still get an occasional wifi drop out. I noticed the options under Settings wifi advanced are quite different on this phone compared with some of the suggestions given in this forum. I guess it's Verizon again?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife has the Verizon M8 on 5.0.1, so that's what I was basing my suggestion on. But hers isn't GPE--that's what you have, right?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have anything at all configured in WiFi Advanced Options, try deleting it so that only defaults are used.

Also, if your router supports both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands try connecting to the other one. Personally, I have had less than positive results with the 5.0 GHz band on the three phones I have tried.

Posted via the Android Central App

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Since the update my WIFI has stopped working. I've tried a bunch of fixes from around the internet, such as renaming my device in the wifi direct area, cycling my router restarting my phone in safe mode, turning air plane mode on and off. Nothing has helped. Anyone have ideas? It's getting really frustrating and racking up my data usage.

You might try going to Settings > Wi-Fi then tapping on the SSID you are trying to connect to and say Forget. Then try connecting to it again and reentering you passcode.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Wi-fi​, tap Menu>Advanced, and uncheck Auto Switch to Mobile. Also turn off Wi-fi Optimization, since that's more for optimizing battery usage, not wi-fi reception.

It would be nice if the setting in all Android where the same, I do not have either one of those two settings.