Can't search apps in google play store!

Niloofar6

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I search something in play store,results are shown in 3 categories: Books,Music and Movies! No Applications! Even when I search the name of an app :/ I don't know what to do about this I didn't find anything helpful in the settings.Help?

Niloofar6

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Is this a change from before? Where are you located? The reason I ask is that Google Play selections are still not available everywhere in the world.

Make sure you have the latest version of Google Play installed, which is 4.3.11. You can find links here: Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.3.11 [Teardown]

I live in Iran and I have to use vpn to connect to google play.I can download apps by scrolling down and finding them in a list but not searching! And updates are shown for certain applications only.And no this is not new.Always had this problem with google play on my Nexus.:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't know why the search function won't work. I would guess that it has something to do with connecting via VPN. I wonder if searching on Google Play is a subset of Google Search. If so, then do you know if Iran restricts Google Search? Not sure how that would work, since you're connecting via VPN.

eatspinach

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've started having the same problem. In Google Play Store, I can't get apps in the search results. No matter what I search for I get only Music, Books and Movies & TV results. I can get to the Apps section of Google Play Store directly and can browse the categories.

What is going on?!?!?

I'm in the UK and have Nexus 4 and have recently upgraded to Android 4.3. The problem started before the upgrade.

Paul Michael1

Dec 9, 2021
Visit site
I live in Iran and I have to use vpn to connect to google play.I can download apps by scrolling down and finding them in a list but not searching! And updates are shown for certain applications only.And no this is not new.Always had this problem with google play on my Nexus.:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Hey, the reason why that happens is because you download harmful apps onto your device and this makes Google to lock your play store. So you cannot search for any apps. Even the apps you already have, you cannot find them when you search for them. The only way to do away with this is to do the factory reset. Or if you dont want to do that. Search for the app you want on chrome, the search will show you the same download site from play store then you can just click install and it will take you to play store and the download will start.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey, the reason why that happens is because you download harmful apps onto your device and this makes Google to lock your play store. So you cannot search for any apps. Even the apps you already have, you cannot find them when you search for them. The only way to do away with this is to do the factory reset. Or if you dont want to do that. Search for the app you want on chrome, the search will show you the same download site from play store then you can just click install and it will take you to play store and the download will start.
Welcome to AC!
Appreciate the help , but i think this member has moved along from the issue, it was last posted in 2013