Free App Promotions on Paid Apps

Should Google Play allow Free App Promtions on Paid Apps?

• Total voters

newyorker20103

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I love to see Paid apps gone free for a short period (like what the Amazon App Store, Windows Phone, and the iOS App Store do almost all the time). The only problem with Google Play is that they don't allow Free App Promtions on Google Play. I looked up on the Android Developers website and when I click on the infomation about deciding on paid or free apps, this is what they tell you...

"Deciding whether you app will be free or paid is important because, on Google Play, free apps must remain free.

?Once you publish your app as a free app, you cannot ever change it to being a priced app. However, you can still sell in-app products and subscriptions through Google Play's In-app Billing service.
?If you publish your app as a priced app, you can change it at any time to being a free app (but cannot then change it back to priced). You can also sell in-app products and subscriptions."

Where I got it from is from here:Launch Checklist | Android Developers

When I first heard about this, I was like "WHAT THE HECK! NO FREE APP PROMOTIONS? THAT'S SO UNFAIR!" It's really crazy why this explains why lesser people choose claim that Google Play makes more of the sales to lower prices than to just make an app go free for a short period. My Question, can you tell Google to allow Free App Promtions? I don't just want to see sales, I want to see free app promos to all developers, even if that just want to make an paid app be free permanently.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello.

Stick around long enough and the Play Store is usually good for at least once or twice a year offering many top selling apps for almost free. About a year ago I remember them having a 10 cent sale on dozens of popular paid apps. Many I still use today and are in high demand.

I hope to see this trend happen again soon, that is how I obtained the popular keyboard SwiftKey and many others..