Question about update notifications

kenwpaul

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a smartphone with a lot of unwanted applications that I can't delete because they're preloaded by the phone vendor and carrier. I've always ignored update notifications for these apps, and the notifications eventually disappear. My question is this: If I ignore an update notification and the notification goes away, does it eventually update it anyway, or does it simply stop pestering me? I don't want to have to start the app to verify this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It won't update on its own, unless you have selected the Automatic Update option in the settings for Google Play. Make sure that's turned off. You can also turn off Notifications in the Google Play settings menu as well, so it won't clutter up your notification bar.

But you should also be able to disable most of those apps, especially if you don't use them at all. Go to Settings>Apps>All, select the app in question, and tap Disable. This will prevent the app from opening, remove it from your App Drawer, and prevent it from being updated in Google Play.

kenwpaul

May 18, 2013
Visit site
But you should also be able to disable most of those apps, especially if you don't use them at all. Go to Settings>Apps>All, select the app in question, and tap Disable. This will prevent the app from opening, remove it from your App Drawer, and prevent it from being updated in Google Play.

That's great advice, and it seems to have worked. This ought to be the top recommendation for new Android users. My phone feels clean again. Thanks for the prompt and helpful response.