Play Music app download menu very sluggish with 20+ GB downloaded All Access library

wossman

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

I searched for topics like this one but didn't find any.

I have a library of over 2000 songs in All Access and I've downloaded all of them to my phone and tablet. That's over 23 gigs of data. Searching for and playing back songs in the Play Music app isn't a problem. But whenever I add any new music to my library then try to download it to my devices, the album menu takes a frustratingly long time to appear between taps. Sometimes it takes more than 30 seconds.

Let me clarify. let's say i add songs from 3 new albums to my library then navigate to Listen Now. The three new albums appear at the top of the list, each with a menu allowing me to remove them, download then, etc.. If I tap on the menu of one of them it appears instantly. I tap download and it disappears. But now i have to wait a long time (like i said, sometimes almost a minute) for the grey downloading symbol to appear on the album. And while I'm waiting for that, if i try to tap the menu of the next album, i get a spinning circle for as long as it takes for the grey symbol to appear on the first album. And the same thing happens when i try to queue up the third album.

I tried to get around this by setting the Last Added auto playlist to download. So as soon as I add music it gets downloaded. But even so, tapping download on each album, even though the tracks in that album may already be on the device because of the last added playlist setting, takes forever.

Both of my devices use the Snapdragon 600 SoC clocked at 1.7 GHz. I haven't used Play Music on any other devices with such lage downloaded libraries. Also note that on my phone, my library is stored on internal storage (the HTC One M7 dev edition) and on my tablet it's stored on a SanDisk Ultra SD card. Both devices have the same UI delay.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you know of a way to fix it? Would a device with a newer SoC (maybe the 801 or 805) behave better? Would some kind of filesystem or kernel tweak speed up access to storage and hence the UI? Is it a bug in the play Music app? The tablet is running 4.4.2 and the phone 4.4.3. Both are stock Optimus and Sense from LG and HTC.

Also, when downloading songs, the app has a long delay between when one song finishes downloading and another begins to download. I've observed this using a bandwidth monitor. Usage spikes while a song downloads then there's a flatline until the next one begins. On my internet connection the delays between song downloads are almost the duration of the song download times themselves so it's a terrible waste of time. I think this is related to whatever causes the menu delay.

Basically, my music acquisition experience is awful. Which is so sad because I love All Access so much.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007