How do I stop the Google Play Store from adding to my apps?

anon(9607521)

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Stop Google Play Store from adding to "my apps"...

Hello.

So I and my mother have a cellphone each, but we share a tablet. We have our Google accounts active in this tablet, and every time an app auto-updates, it adds to both accounts' "my apps / all apps".

I use way more apps than she does, and it's adding to her list. Can I stop the Play Store from adding to her apps ? Any settings within Android, Play Store or even the Google Account ?

Maybe even the sync options for the account ? I tried disabling "app data" and "google fit data" in the sync options, but they don't help with this at all, so I don't know what to do, or what can be done about this, if anything.

I know I can delete the apps, but that wouldn't solve the problem entirely, because some apps need rooting, so you can uninstall them and then delete them from your Play Store list. But installing them again, or updating them, will just add them back to her list. So if there's any way of solving this issue, please share.

Thanks in advance.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Stop Google Play Store from adding to "my apps"...

Hello. You may have won the prize for brain teaser of the week.

Is the tablet on Android Lollipop, or KitKat. On Lollipop you can have one of you as a guest but the guest would have to set up all their own apps and data.

Which account on the tablet is the primary one.

Try looking on Android Device Manager using both accounts, say from a pc or each others phone ADM apps, and see if both accounts recognise the tablet as a device, although apparently it does.
www.google.com/android/

How do you use the tablet day to day, do you each log in, or just have separate email accounts.

Added : anyone is free to join in.

anon(9607521)

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

Oh, it's on KitKat 4.4.4, and it pretty much feels like operating the same OS version in the cell phone. We just added both accounts to the android settings, and mine is the primary.

Even though the Play Store is always set to my account (every time we open it, she has to click on her picture to browse with her account, then she shifts it back to mine before closing the store, which theoretically means any auto-updates should be done with mine, not hers), it still adds to "my apps" on both accounts.

And yes, separate emails/google accounts, and they both recognize the device.

We use it just for fun (youtube, social networking, etc...), at home, because we think going outside with it would be asking to be mugged lol (after all it's bigger than a phone).

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Oh, it's on KitKat 4.4.4, and it pretty much feels like operating the same OS version in the cell phone. We just added both accounts to the android settings, and mine is the primary.

Even though the Play Store is always set to my account (every time we open it, she has to click on her picture to browse with her account, then she shifts it back to mine before closing the store, which theoretically means any auto-updates should be done with mine, not hers), it still adds to "my apps" on both accounts.

And yes, separate emails/google accounts, and they both recognize the device.

We use it just for fun (youtube, social networking, etc...), at home, because we think going outside with it would be asking to be mugged lol (after all it's bigger than a phone).
I can't get my head around it and it's late, sorry. Someone will have more direct knowledge or experience.
Google generally have more settings options on their full website, but I couldn't find how to just now on my pc.
I don't share a device so I don't know how "closing the Store" works.
Just to clarify, your apps appear on your mum's account when she logs in to the tablet, or they appear on her phone as well.

I will pass this on tomorrow if no one else responds. You should get an answer eventually. :)

anon(9607521)

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

My apps and Google's apps (pre-installed ones) both appear on her download history, a.k.a. "my apps/ ALL apps" on the Play Store when they are updated, even if the last account opened with Play Store was mine.

I believe both the tablet and the cells use the same apps from the Store, so yes, the history is the same on both devices (tablet and cell). I want her list to be as clean as possible, just the apps she chose to download herself. Not mine or the pre-installed ones.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't think there's a solution though, but if there's any place to find it, it's here. So, thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Madd flagged my attention to this thread. Is signing out of the account that you don't want to see apps from a feasible option?

anon(9607521)

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

I don't think you can sign-out of any accounts that are synced within Kitkat. Signing out or deleting the account from "accounts" would do just exactly that, but the Play Store downloaded apps list is a sticker.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I'm with Shephard. It doesn't matter which account you used to downloaded any app, all of them will be accessible in your phone and will appear in the list. I think the only restriction is trying to update a paid app. You need to sign in the original account to do that.

A different thing is having multiple users. This can be done with lollipop or even with some tablets running kitkat. Not sure if that your case.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm with Shephard. It doesn't matter which account you used to downloaded any app, all of them will be accessible in your phone and will appear in the list. I think the only restriction is trying to update a paid app. You need to sign in the original account to do that.

A different thing is having multiple users. This can be done with lollipop or even with some tablets running kitkat. Not sure if that your case.
'Shepard' has the original problem. A shared KitKat tablet with her mum updates her apps to her mums account and phone (I think).
Any thoughts?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your interest in helping me, Madd, but I'm a guy! D: lol XD

Whoops! Apologies.

I only made that mistake once before a year ago. I assumed Evilguppy was a guy and she was a feisty but lovely French lady married in the US.

Can happen when you absorb a first post quickly and draw a picture in your mind. Well me anyway.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

And another whoops! :) I missed that you already mentioned that the problem was in the "All apps" tab under "my apps". I assumed, wrongly, that you were talking about the "installed" tab. The different account apps shouldn't be in the all tab. I completely misunderstood your problem.

PS. As a punishment I'll try hard this weekend to find a solution for your issue :) I have two different Google accounts in my phone so I'm going to see if I can make an app jump between accounts in the Play Store.

Last edited:

anon(9607521)

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Madd (and lol XD) and thanks Javier. Thanks for your help.

If you have any of the google pre-installed apps (and any other apps for that matter), and you notice they were updated, the app will be listed on both accounts' "all apps" in the Store. You'll see it, Javier.

Madd, to be fair, when I play Mass Effect's trilogy, I always do femshep, because she hawt! lol XD

Cheers!

Last edited:

anon(9607521)

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Nevermind, I thought I had fixed this. (when I updated here in this post). Can't fix Google app history adding apps to the secondary account.

I can delete all history on her account when formatting the device and running an update-less Android, but once apps are redownloaded or updated, it fills her history all over again, even though her account has the "sync app data" unchecked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair