Finally deleted my G+ profile

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm just tired of having to manage my social networks like that. That's why I only really use google+ and twitter now.

Sent from my GT-P7510

anjali_jain

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
i h ave also deleted my G+ profile as i don't liked it much. I thought it would be much better then twitter or FB but still i m happy on twitter. :)

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
the problem with Google+ is that it's too much "Google"... you need a gmail account, and that alienates anyone who doesn't have and doesn't want a gmail account... and just being labled "Google+" it alienates anyone anti-Google.... if Google had been smart, they would have branded it agnostically, and tried to make it seem like it doesn't have such strong ties to "Google"... look at Facebook... it's basically platform neutral... although even they now seem intent on locking in users to their own ecosystem, but announcing their paid web app service....

Google Drive is doomed too... the neutral solution right now is Drop box, just like Facebook is the alternative to G+... OpenMapSource will gain some steam once Apple switches over (they've already started within iPhoto)...

Google should realise that people don't want to be 100% locked into a single ecosystem... Apple is probably the most successful at this, but even then, their success is having hundreds of thousands of apps, allowing people choices, and even Apple's iOS mail client is the most "neutral" of all the platforms...

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
One is not necessarily better than the other. They both have strengths and weaknesses, just like the Apple vs. Android discussions.

I have 700+ friends and family members on FB. I have 200 circled on G+. I have better and more intriguing conversations on G+ than I do on FB. Plus everyone and their brother has all their apps updating to FB. I hate Foursquare. If I want to know where you are, I will call you and ask. :)

It's a personal choice.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I like G+, its slowly growing on me. Most of my connections are on Facebook or Twitter and that probably won't be changing anytime soon. So, for now, those will be my current "social networks", and G+ I check about once a week. If more people I know migrate to G+, I'll start using it more. For now... its not getting a lot of use (and I have considered deleting it, but I'll wait a while longer to see if it gains any popularity)

cytherian

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
It's nice to have alternatives. Facebook tries to be all things to all people. It ends up becoming too much of a clutter. I prefer using it just for casual socializing. Google+ is my choice for technical socializing, keeping in touch with people about Android, Windows, Mac, sci-fi forums, etc.

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
People need to stop comparing Gplus to Facebook and start looking at it more as a twitter replacement. I would also think that the people who post here or similar boards would find it especially useful.
Start by creating a tech or android circle and place blogs like Android Central, Android police, droid life, Engadget, CNET, etc then follow for like a week or 2. The comment sections on these posts are usually hopping.
This is actually the perfect timing for this experiment with the Nexus coming out at the end of the month.
Also I use the photo instant upload a ton because I have a small kid and it's great....
Just one persons opinion.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That's an interesting idea. I never use G+ but having that kind of circle ours intriguing. Although, I have all of that in my FB list already so it's a duplication.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
That's an interesting idea. I never use G+ but having that kind of circle ours intriguing. Although, I have all of that in my FB list already so it's a duplication.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

Right BUT the genius of google plus is that it filters it. Instead of one long stream of all your contacts you can select which topics you want to read. So you JUST see tech or JUST sports and not family or whatever.

Jesslynh

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Cool story bro, I left Facebook over a month ago and never looked back. Google+ performs better and is more secure than the Zuckerberg establishment that logs me in by itself sans username and password on a clean install, signs me in and out of chat whenever it feels like resulting in a ton of people thinking I'm ignoring them, and changes my privacy settings without my consent on a monthly basis.

I go with what provides the best experience. Jumped ship to G+ and my friends followed. Guess to the 50+ million people who use it, Facebook is just one more thing for us to ignore.

I use FB for meaningless comments and to keep up with family that is spread around the US. I use Google+ daily to find out what is going on in the world, tech news and to have great conversations. The whole FB stupidness usually means that I end up only "Liking" family photos and resultant comments.

Jesslynh

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As Fleury14 pointed out, G+ is also a great replacement for Twitter. I used to live on Twitter, but I now get better info on the same things from G+

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Holding out on G+ myself, but then again I don't have a Facebook either. I know, for being a bit of a tech nerd I'm living in the stone age... lol

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
People need to stop comparing Gplus to Facebook and start looking at it more as a twitter replacement. I would also think that the people who post here or similar boards would find it especially useful.
Start by creating a tech or android circle and place blogs like Android Central, Android police, droid life, Engadget, CNET, etc then follow for like a week or 2. The comment sections on these posts are usually hopping.
This is actually the perfect timing for this experiment with the Nexus coming out at the end of the month.
Also I use the photo instant upload a ton because I have a small kid and it's great....
Just one persons opinion.

Google+ is not comparable to Twitter. Twitter is a completely different type of service than Google+ and Facebook. Google+ is comparable to Facebook, period.

They have pretty similar feature sets as well, outside of Huddles (Facebook on the Web does allow 1:1 Video Chat, via Skype tech, the mobile app is missing that) and Instant Upload (which they are testing currently, on Android).

Circles in Google+ are analogous to Lists in Facebook. They perform the same purposes and you can choose which Lists to Share to on Facebook just like you can choose which Circles to Share to on Google+, or you can Share Publicly on Facebook, just like Google+.

Facebook allows Following. It's called Subscriptions. Except, Facebook has a privacy one-up when it comes to that, because they allow you to completely hide your profile from search (and those who aren't at least Friends of Friends - which is a huge deterrent on Google+ for me) and turn Subscriptions off (on Google+ this would be equivalent to disallowing anyone from adding you to a circle, which is currently impossible so you have people you don't know showing up in your "have you in circles" and "not in any circles" lists).

Facebook is just a more polished product at the moment. By twenty miles, even. None of the average joes are going to Google+ because it was overhyped and it simply isn't good enough. There is barely anything better there than what's on Facebook. As much as people lamented Timeline, it's better than the profile stream on Google+. It's almost as if Google isn' even serious about competing in the Social Networking market. They still don't have Write APIs released for Google+, so you cannot even Cross Post from i.e. Twitter to Google+ the way you can to Facebook.

Look, it's simple.

Yes, I'd like to use the service. It's integrated into my device and it's decent. But, everyone I know is on Facebook. That means, that for it to be useful, I need to be able to easily cross post TO FACEBOOK without copying and pasting everything. Don't really want to hear about sharing to Facebook by Email that's seriously a bad work-around nevermind it can lead to truncations and it doesn't tell anyone where the post is from. I can update my Windows Live Messenger status and have it pushed automatically to Facebook, yet I cannot post a Status Update, Check-In, Picture, Video, etc. on Google+ and have it posted to Facebook.

You realize that I have to upload 200MB videos twice over a DSL connection to get it on both FB and Google+. Images from my smartphone camera are anywhere from 3-3.5MB each. If I'm mobile, that can demolish my data plan. It's simply not worth it to manage two Social Networks that are so disconnected. 1B people use Facebook. If you cannot connect to that service, then it's pretty useless to me at this point. Everyone is there.

Would it be nice to post everything to Google+ and have it all cross-posted to Facebook automatically via a connection? Yes. That would actually makes a ton of sense and it would likely cause a lot more "average" joes to use the service. But that's not how it works now, thus I'm better off not having a Google+ profile, disabling the app, and saving some battery by not having it sync crap in the background.

And the Google+ instant upload is buggy and volatile. It randomly uploads stuff from before you enabled the feature even when you told it not to upload existing media. If you delete something from instant upload it often will upload it again later. I've had it kill my battery doing that. It cannot be trusted, and if you sync PWA to your phone it creates a new album that will show up there every 500 photos.

There is too much lack of polish in Google+. Making a clean web front-end doesn't mean much. User experience goes much deeper into that. Too much service overlap, redundancy, and fragmentation too. Not enough integration. They're just getting around to merging PWA and Google Drive storage. That should have been done on Drive Launch and Instant Upload should have been a Drive App feature not a Google+ feature. With 5GB shared storage they can allow Uploading full resolution images, too.

In fact, Google should have made sure their services weren't a complete mess and in disarray before they launched Google+ IMO, so that they could have been easily integrated. You can share to Facebook and Twitter from YouTube, but not Google+. See the irony? Some of the ommissions make no sense and are inexcusable. If they seriously think they can bank on their Android devices/install base to carry this network they are out of their minds. Facebook will have a better Native Android app coming out probably with Instant Upload out of Beta and they won't even have the "We have a much better mobile app" excuse to use then.

They don't seem to be trying. Google+ is already starting to feel like another experiment that just didn't work out for them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670