Backlash Against Project Fi?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Do you think there will be any backlash against Project Fi?

Project Fi gives more choice to consumers (though I'm not sure if the average consumer will even know it exists). Sprint and T-Mobile benefit because they are Google's carrier partners.

AT&T and Verizon probably won't like Project Fi because it could eventually challenge them in the marketplace if it becomes popular.

I think smartphone companies could go either way. They might not like Project Fi if the hardware requirements are too strict. (Right now only the Nexus 6 is supported, and there is no news on other devices going on Project Fi.)

However, if more people end up joining Project Fi, I can see smartphone companies developing their own Project Fi-compatible phones. Maybe Google just needs to certify the hardware before letting it go on the network.

So, what's your take?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Google doesn't have their own network. They're using Sprint and T-Mobile. It will take them years and billions of dollars if they want to start their "own network" that would require carrier certifications. I don't see much backlash happening over this, other than a few tech savvy people being mad they can't use Fi because they don't own a Nexus 6.

Rian P

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I was informed by tmobile...my carrier...that I can move with no problem . There is no hardware upgrade . ..it's all done thru the project fi sim card....not the device itself....sounds strange to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It'll definitely be interesting to see how Project FI evolves, but there are a couple things that will make it difficult for certain people to adopt.

1. As of now, Project FI doesn't offer any Family Plans, so it's unlikely that a family would ditch their current carrier and switch to Project FI, paying for the equivalent number of individual plans.

Of course, FI may very well offer group plans in the future.

2. AT&T and Verizon are not on board. For those that stay in the same area and already have good Sprint and TMobile service, this isn't an issue, but there are those that can't leave Verizon or AT&T and sacrifice coverage.

There are two ways to remedy this:

1. Sprint or TMobile need to substantially beef up their coverage to challenge AT&T and Verizon.

2. AT&T or Verizon need to jump on board with Project FI

Obviously, it would be great if all 4 would become partners with FI, but having 3 of the 4, would significantly increase overall coverage and make it easier for those on Verizon or AT&T to switch over to FI.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Project Fi certainly isn't going to be for everyone. Personally, with the amount of data that I use on a monthly basis, Project Fi will likely save me money. This isn't going to be the same situation for someone who uses 10+ gb of data each month. If that is the case, then they should consider an unlimited T-Mobile plan, etc. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out the service.

Chris Karpinski

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I hope the only backlash is that some of the mobile carriers implement similar pricing schemes.

I NORMALLY use around 500-700 MB a month. But maybe every 3rd month, if I'm travelling, I go up to 2GB-3GB. So to be safe I use the 3GB plan from AT&T for around $65 so I don't worry about getting hit with a big bill.

So with Project FI I could hypothetically just pay the $25-$30 most months, and some other months I will just pay $60. It comes out a little cheaper in the end.

I'm not 100% sold on switching to it, I will need to hear some reviews about sound quality and if there are any beta/release "bugs" that might be too annoying to deal with. But even if I don't switch to it, hopefully it will get AT&T and others to do similar pricing.