July Bill $23.52 - Now That's the Way to Price Data!

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
$33.26 - Billing period June 02 - July 02 for $10/1GB plan (activated June 01)
$23.52 - Billing period July 02 - August 02 - used only 0.028GB data so credited $9.72 against next $10 data charge

"Rollover" that!
--
Alex

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Wish they'd expand this to more territories and with more phones. I really don't like the Nexus line for my daily driver.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
that is awesome. can't wait till im out of contract so I can switch to Google fi. Im hoping by than they have some other phones that will work cuz I'm not really a fan of N6 (size).

Posted via AC app with my N9

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
If I may ask, what is the ball park figure for the taxes and fees added to your bill? Trying to get a feel for these to see how the total will really match up to my current prepaid service. Thank you!

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If I may ask, what is the ball park figure for the taxes and fees added to your bill? Trying to get a feel for these to see how the total will really match up to my current prepaid service. ...

I'm in VA, and here are the numbers:
  • State Sales Tax $1.07
  • State 911 Tax $0.75
  • Federal Universal Service Fund $1.24
  • Local License Tax $0.09
  • Federal Regulatory Assessment Fee $0.09

Oh, and "matching up" to your current prepaid will be almost entirely dependent on how much data usage you can shift to WiFi - that's why my last bill was so low (and my next one won't be much higher). Fi just can't be competitive for users with high cell data usage, the flat $10/GB rate just doesn't fit that kind of usage pattern.

--
Alex

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much, the numbers are very useful as I'm in VA too. As for the comparison, I don't think I have ever gone over 1 GB of data in a month as most of my data usage is at home over WiFi. This definitely beats my current provider, now just need an invite and a N6.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
$33.26 - Billing period June 02 - July 02 for $10/1GB plan (activated June 01)
$23.52 - Billing period July 02 - August 02 - used only 0.028GB data so credited $9.72 against next $10 data charge

$23.99 - Billing period Aug 02 - Sep 02

GASP! Cell usage "skyrocketed" this past month, so only got a $9.29 credit against my $10 data charge!!!

;)

--
Alex

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The trend continues (helped dramatically by staying in Airplane mode at home ... then often forgetting to switch it off when I leave the house). Charges to date:
  • $33.26 - Billing period Jun 02 - Jul 02 for $10/1GB plan (activated June 01)
  • $23.52 - Billing period Jul 02 - Aug 02 - used only 0.028GB data, credited $9.72 against next $10 data charge
  • $23.99 - Billing period Aug 02 - Sep 02 - $9.29 credit
  • $23.66 - Billing period Sep 02 - Oct 02 - $9.62 credit

--
Alex

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The trend continues (helped dramatically by staying in Airplane mode at home ... then often forgetting to switch it off when I leave the house). Charges to date:
  • $33.26 - Billing period Jun 02 - Jul 02 for $10/1GB plan (activated June 01)
  • $23.52 - Billing period Jul 02 - Aug 02 - used only 0.028GB data, credited $9.72 against next $10 data charge
  • $23.99 - Billing period Aug 02 - Sep 02 - $9.29 credit
  • $23.66 - Billing period Sep 02 - Oct 02 - $9.62 credit

--
Alex

Nice! Potential PF signup here, still reading up on all the threads in here :)
So, pardon my ignorance, but if your at home with Airplane mode on, isn't that not enabling any data to come through to your phone and stop everything on your phone? I thought it also disconnects your current Wifi connection when you do that too?

Congrats again on the awesome bills!

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... So, pardon my ignorance, but if your at home with Airplane mode on, isn't that not enabling any data to come through to your phone and stop everything on your phone? I thought it also disconnects your current Wifi connection when you do that too? ...

Well, yes, if you just enable Airplane Mode then leave it that way you get no cell, no Bluetooth and no Wifi.

What I have been doing (and what the Fi folks recommended) is:
  1. Turn on Airplane Mode
  2. Turn on WiFi - so I can get all my Fi calls over WiFi
  3. Turn on Bluetooth (I also have a Moto 360 watch)
BTW, I was impatient and flashed the factory image of Android 6 Marshmallow on my Nexus 6 (NOTE: the Fi folks are now recommending that we NOT flash the factory image, but have not said why or what the issue(s) might be), and have not used Airplane Mode since. Marshmallow (or other things) seems to have "fixed" the Nexus 6 Sprint + WiFi "missed calls" issue - at least for the first 5 or so times I've tried calling my N6 while it was connected to WiFi and Sprint the call went through ... and when I watch SignalCheck Pro as the call comes in I no longer see it drop the Sprint LTE signal and then connect the call on a Sprint 1xRTT signal - implying that the call is actually coming in over WiFi rather than over Sprint as it was before ....

--
Alex

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Excellent idea for Google FI, only problem is lack of phones you can use.

Posted via the Android Central App

Asked if I could utilize other phones which seem to work to some degree.
Don't get me wrong, my Nexus 6 is a great phone.
Changing phones is just one of my [least] bad habits.
While the answer was unambiguous, wish I knew what functionality was missing.
Oh well.

"Thank you for contacting Project Fi and welcome to the Fi community! My name is David and I can definitely further assist you today. To answer your question, No. You are not able to use Fi Sim cards or service with devices other than Nexus 6 and the new products that are to be released for Project Fi. If somehow you do get some type of service on external devices, you will not have full functionality. Hope this helps.
It was my pleasure assisting you today. If you need anything, feel free to respond to this email directly, and we will get right back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for being a valued customer here at Project Fi, have a great day!
Until next time!"

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Asked if I could utilize other phones which seem to work to some degree.
Don't get me wrong, my Nexus 6 is a great phone.
Changing phones is just one of my [least] bad habits.
While the answer was unambiguous, wish I knew what functionality was missing.

The reports I've seen from folks who claim that a Fi SIM "works" in other phones generally say that they CAN connect to T-Mobile, but the phone never auto-switches between T-Mobile and Sprint and they can't do WiFi calling. Which isn't surprising - Google has complete control of the Fi software, so they can guarantee that even if the SIM says you're allowed to connect to T-Mobile or Sprint, and even if the phone has a radio that supports any carrier, the Fi software will recognize that the phone is not a Nexus 6, 6P or 5X so the software will refuse to perform all the Fi tricks.

Just as any carrier reserves the right to qualify/certify phones for their network, Google reserves the right to do the same for their "network" by controlling which phones the software functions on.

I wish it were otherwise, but until Google changes Fi from an invite-only "Early Access" program we just won't know if they plan to open Fi up to other phones, and which phones that will be. I'm sticking with Fi for now because I can live with the mostly-WiFi very low cost model, but I really hate not having the usability features of the Moto X and the option to pick another phone if my preferences change - so Fi is still on probation as far as I'm concerned. If Fi turns into another of Google's never-ending beta programs then I may boot them anyway.

--
Alex

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize you could have wifi on in airplane mode. I could get used to saving $80 but just not ready to pull the trigger on giving up my VZW unlimited plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol