SIM not active - :"Sign into fi network" shows often if not on wifi

jjsowa

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Almost a month now - on second nexus 6 UE and at least 4 SIM cards later. Location in western suburbs of Chicago and very often if not on wifi I am not getting on a data network. First screen shows notice "Sign into Network" and a double tap shows a screen - Your SIM card is no longer active. Occasionally the device does connect to a wireless network.

Calls work but data is questionable.

I have even placed the Project Fi nexus device nearby a T-Mobile Samsung 4. The Samsung shows full signal and 4G while the nexus does not get on a data network.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? Has anyone gotten this resolved?

Jim

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I've seen similar issues on other prepaid carriers before (both T-Mobile and AT&T networks), but not on Fi. Usually it's just an odd provisioning or APN issue that makes the device not communicate and register with the service.

What does Fi support say? They just send a new SIM every time and it doesn't work? Was your Nexus 6 bought before or did you buy a "Fi" Nexus 6?

jjsowa

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
The "Fi" Nexus 6 was purchased though project Fi.
So far Support has recommend
  • a factory reset
  • In and our of airplane mode
  • remove and reinstall "project fi" app
  • new SIM
  • put scotch tape on SIM card
  • new SIM and new Nexus 6
  • two developer debugs (weeks apart) and sending them in

So far far no final solution.

jbpeeler

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old post, but I searched Google and two hits came up (this obviously being one of them). I commented on the other here:

<Link unable to post>

(Wow, I just registered to post here and can't post a link due to not having already posted 10 times... So go to reddit and find it in the project fi subreddit or just Google "google fi sim no longer active".)

Maybe the reddit post will be helpful and if you're still experiencing the same problem we can troubleshoot together.

AJ Jonassen

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had Fi for a few weeks and have the same problem. I flashed the stock Nexus 6 Fi ROM. I've gone through two SIM cards. I'm about ready to give up. Thank god I didn't port my main number to this. It's totally not ready to be rolled out yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34