New Moto X possibly work on Fi?

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hoping the new Moto X's work on Fi. If not I guess it'll be the new Nexus 5.

Any thoughts judging by the tech specs it doesn't seem like the pure Edition will be a contender.

Posted via the Android Central App

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hoping the new Moto X's work on Fi. If not I guess it'll be the new Nexus 5.

Any thoughts judging by the tech specs it doesn't seem like the pure Edition will be a contender. ...

I REALLY want the Moto X Style to be compatible with Fi SOONER rather than later.

Any reason why you say "judging by the tech specs it doesn't seem like the Pure Edition will be a contender"?

FYI, after the launch event some folks noticed that the specs page didn't list some bands, so Motorola updated the
Pure Edition page to match their "works on every US carrier" claim:

Bands
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41)

--
Alex

Last edited:

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just called the Project Fi number to ask a few questions -- I have my invitation, but haven't signed up yet, in part because I was wanting an answer to this question. The extraordinarily pleasant and helpful woman I spoke with said that (a) she doesn't have any information about it, (b) it does sound like something that would work with Project Fi, and (c) that she -- unofficially -- doubts that it will be enabled for the Fi network anytime soon. Her reasoning, which is sound to me, is that they are really focused on the network and software in this phase of the project, so it's unlikely they'd want to muddy the waters by adding additional devices to the test just yet.

So it looks like there's a Nexus 6 in my future.

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just called the Project Fi number to ask a few questions -- I have my invitation, but haven't signed up yet, in part because I was wanting an answer to this question. The extraordinarily pleasant and helpful woman I spoke with said that (a) she doesn't have any information about it, (b) it does sound like something that would work with Project Fi, and (c) that she -- unofficially -- doubts that it will be enabled for the Fi network anytime soon. Her reasoning, which is sound to me, is that they are really focused on the network and software in this phase of the project, so it's unlikely they'd want to muddy the waters by adding additional devices to the test just yet.

So it looks like there's a Nexus 6 in my future.

Once you join Fi, make sure you accept the invite to the official Fi Google+ group - however, you won't find any better answer there (a few of us participated in threads on this subject) about the [potential] use of the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition on Fi, as Google's official position remains that it's the Nexus 6, and only the Nexus 6, during this early part of the Fi rollout.

In fact, even if they are testing the new 2015 Nexus 5 on Fi, I much prefer Motorola's radios over any other non-Moto Nexus phones that have been released so far - I had terrible results with the Nexus 4 and the [old] Nexus 5 radios on T-Mobile, as I'm some 4 miles (and on the other side of a hill) from the nearest T-Mobile tower. Only my Moto X 2014 and Nexus 6 have done a decent job with the T-Mobile signal in and around my home.

--
Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37