Anyone Cancel Project Fi?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
In my area, Sprint is much stronger than TMO. I currently pay Sprint around $32.50 with Tax for 2 GB data.

I would still like to try Project FI just to try it, but I had a couple concerns:

1. How easy is it to cancel Project Fi?
2. If I canceled and only used a portion of my paid data, do you think Google would apply the credit to my Google Wallet or would I be SOL?

I would like to try the service and possibly get some free Nexus 6 accessories, but, realistically, I know Fi is probably not going to be any better than what I already have.

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I tried it for a month while I wait for my Verizon contract to be up. You can cancel or pause your service right from the project fi app. Very easy. And yes they will refund what you do not use for the month. I paid for 3 GB of data and was refunded $41. I paused my service until my contract is up in September with Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried it for a month while I wait for my Verizon contract to be up. You can cancel or pause your service right from the project fi app. Very easy. And yes they will refund what you do not use for the month. I paid for 3 GB of data and was refunded $41. I paused my service until my contract is up in September with Verizon.

So it sounds like they will also give you a prorated refund if you pause or cancel before the month is up?

How did they apply the $41 credit? To your credit card?

Did you still get the Welcome Kit with the Nexus 6 accessories?

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes they prorated it. I did not receive a welcome kit. I have not received the refund yet but I'll let you know. I assume it will go back into the back account I used.

bdmridgeback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
When I activated my invite it said my Google Voice number could not be used and they would assign me a new number, my old number would get discarded.

Konrad S

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I cancelled Project FI yesterday after using it for three weeks. It worked flawless for me but I noticed a >900 MB increase of data usage in a short period of about 24 hours. My accumulated data consumption was 0.15 GB in about three weeks and based on my usage. When I left the house I did not use any internet applications at all, not even e-mail, maps or youtube. My data usage was roughly constant for 3 weeks and I had no complaint about the service at all. While placing a call from my WiFi conenction at home and walking away to the TMO service area the phone did not disconnect my call and when I walked back towards the WiFi access point it seamlessely connected via WiFI witrhout dropping a call uust like stated in the Google Fi service description.
Last weekend I received an e-mail with a warning about the reach of my data limit. I checked my usage and notice a significant increase within a period of less than 24 hours, completely off my standard usage pattern. I opened a ticket with the Google Fi team just to get some standard "blame the enduser" type of answers. The 1st agent explaned me most customers forget to turn off youtube or whatever application they use and that causes the accumulation of my data usage. I was quiet unhappy about that kind of answer and asked to talk to a manager just to find out the manager has basically the same answer and does not even listen to the initial problem.
On my second call I had an agent on the line which continued with the same pattern of answers even though I assured I have not any applications running. I asked to talk to his manager as well. At this point I was already explaineing the situation several times and but this time the manager elaborated and said a possible problem could be my WiFi accesspoint failing, birds may fly through the signal or clouds could interfere with my WiFi signal; rest assured, I lost my faith in the skillset of the Google Fi agent/ manager. I explained he should not worry about my home network, there is Verizon FiOS, a high end CISCO WAP and the WAP is not over subscribed or misconfigured. That statement was probably a highlight for the manager on the phone and he explained me there is a misconfiguration in my nexus 6 and I had to enable "restricted background data" which I did but when I checked my data usage about 20 minutes later I had roughly another 100 MB of carrier data accumulated.
This was leading me to my 3rd ticket on a Sunday evening. This time I spoke to a person which actually looked at the ticket history and after a brief review she called me back and explained a possible issue but left any further details out. I was asked to enable airplane mode when I am at home snd connected to my WiFi access point and if I am not willing to do so I should not expect to get the issue solved.
Long story short, this and previous statements gave me enough reason to cancel my Google Fi service. The cancellation instructions were sent via e-mail and within 10 minutes. I reactivated my t-mobile SIM card the same evening and wait on my confirmation of my cancellation, the conversion back to Google Voice is still in progress at this point.
My conclusion: Either there is a technical glitch Google does not want to admit or there is a magic hand trying to manipulate data usage for a financial advantage.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Konrad, I canceled for the same reason as you. I went through a stretch of not leaving my home wifi for several days and yet the data mounted up. My theory is that the phone gets confused and stays on cellular data when it should have switched to wifi. I was accumulating data during a 48 hour period where the phone sat on my home nightstand.

I don't think they are trying to do anything dishonest, I just chalked it up to being a new system that isn't fully baked yet.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of canceling too. On VZW and use a GV number for business that rings my VZW phone. Why carry and pay for two phones?

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues so I'm sticking with it. I'm on wifi all of the time and it never uses cellular data when I'm connected. I'm looking at a $30 bill for this month.

Raydee

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
What happens if you buy a phone through FI and you have problems? If you decide to cancel will they take the phone back?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
There is no phone subsidy so no. You pay full price for it and keep it. You can put it on any service.

The one exception now appears to be if you finance your phone. If you finance your Nexus and then cancel Fi service, Google will charge the unpaid balance for the phone.

Mike Dang

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
It's frustrated. I cancelled the service in August after using it for less than a month and decided to cancel it since the phone is completely dead. Called Google so many times and each time was told my case would be escalated to the supervisor. Two and half months later, I still have not received refund for the phone. This is why I switch back to Verizon Wireless.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about canceling. It started out good and then got progressively worse with constant service issues. For me personally it hasnt improved 1% since launch. Now there is Tmobile Band 12 issue that getting ignored by customer service.

I wish Tomobile had 256kbps roaming and cheaper international calling rates, or ATT finally got some free data roaming.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
After 3 months on Fi, I canceled this morning. You'll need to cancel Project Fi first, (they give you account info and pin) then sign up with another carrier. Fi says they will prorate for the month. I wanted to love Project Fi.

My reason for canceling? Even though Fi swears that Sprint and T-Mo will not throttle, atleast Sprint does.

I got my N6 a year ago. Was on Sprint for 8-ish months. I live fairly rural so we get slow speeds here, but I only have AT&T as an alternative here. With my same N6, Project Fi gave me speed tests of 40 Kbps to 200 Mbps. Directly on Sprint I got 2-4 Mbps. Also, Fi was slow to find a carrier when I traveled. The Project Fi Community on Google+ has excellent support. Calling Project Fi gets you a not-so-knowledgeable human within 1-2 minutes.

I got a SIM from Cricket a week ago and it's working out for me. 4-8 Mbps is fast enough for my needs. $35 for 2.5GB.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I adore my Project Fi experience. I switched from T-mo and now have better connectivity (not that it was awful before), pay less, and have unlimited calling. Nothing to dislike for me, but YMMV.