Phone compatibility with Fi

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
So, it appears Fi will utilize any Wi-Fi available...even over a stronger carrier signal.
If no Wi-Fi is available then it will pick up either T-M or S signal, whichever is stronger.
This being the case: a Fi nano sim should work in just about any phone that accepts a sim.
Depending on hardware, it will default to T-M + Wi-Fi.
I'm assuming just about all phones that accept a sim card have bands compatible with T-M.
Is this correct?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You have the basics of Fi operation correct. WiFi is the preferred connection and is used as long as it is good enough to provide quality reception.

Fi SIMs have kinda sorta worked in other phones but I haven't heard of anyone getting full functionality with anything except a Nexus 6.

Not all phones with a SIM are fully compatible with T-Mobile data bands. For example, phones made for AT&T lack T-Mobile's Band 12.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Better. :^). But still not really true. :^(

AFAIK the Nexus 6 is still the only phone that is fully functional on Fi.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
....AFAIK the Nexus 6 is still the only phone that is fully functional on Fi

Correct.
Downloaded Project Fi app from play store on 2014 Moto X. Had visions of it becoming fully functional when a blurb on installation notes stated: "Needs Android 5.1+ to function." Well, it functions...but only noting account information like data used. No love for full functionality.
Tried with a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact also, same outcome.....
SIDE Note: with the sim in a Lumia 1520 calls/texting worked with T-M. MMS needed apn entries i didn't play with.
Sooooo...currently limited to Nexus 6 device....until Nexus 5X , 6P next week?
maybe.

Last edited:

Raydee

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I just received my invitation and the email says I can go with the Nexus 5 or 6p. Looks like they have more options now?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

AlexMadarasz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just received my invitation and the email says I can go with the Nexus 5 or 6p. Looks like they have more options now?

Yes, I got an email from Google on the 29th telling me "As we continue to push the boundaries of what's possible with Project Fi, we're happy to announce that we've added the newly released Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P phones to our device lineup."

I personally haven't [pre-]ordered one because:
  • I'm already paying a nice chunk of change (pre-discount pricing, at 0% from Motorola Creidt) for a "Gen 1" Nexus 6
  • Until I see some reliable reviews, I only trust the Motorola radios to give me decent performance with the T-Mobile signal at my house (I get a good Sprint signal, but the issues with the Nexus 6 and Sprint have me not trusting the Sprint network at home).
--
Alex

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
....haven't [pre-]ordered one because....

Justification for upgrading from the N6 to N6P is quite strained.
While true for most desired upgrades, this would seem especially so.
Not long ago would have jumped on a Nexus 5X for better camera plus size considerations.
Must be getting old[er], settling in with my huge OG N6 size.
Find the N6 camera takes decent pictures.
Seems for me the limiting factor with picture taking is the person shooting rather than the hardware.
Have nightmares regarding original fingerprint tech from years ago which was flawed and would forever lock you out of your pc. Positive it's much more functional now, just.....I could do without it.
Pattern unlock feels intrusive enough.
Bottom line: I will upgrade, but don't know when.
Some newest hotness will grab me before the non-removable battery starts to dim.
Of this I'm sure.

plumber75

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I am curious, when the new Moto Droid 2 comes out will it work on Fi? It is a variation of the Moto X line.....hmmmmm

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Highly unlikely the Droid 2 will work on Fi since the Droid series are Verizon-only exclusives. Unlikely as in no chance in hell.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
What he ^ said.
On top of everything else, don't think the tech/radios match up.
Used to utilize Verizon as my carrier. In my area [NJ] their signal can't be beat.
We had a falling out....enough said.
After much wandering in the desert found ATT had improved their signal enough to justify it's use.
Not as good as Verizon, but fully functional. T-M had spotty coverage, Sprint worse.
Must say: Fi coverage has been great.
Had some issues near the Finger Lakes while vacationing, then again..... couldn't find a bank there either.
Otherwise, pretty solid.

Last edited:

eng3

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
If I recall, Tmobile LTE uses (Bands 2,4, 12) and Sprint LTE uses (24,26,41)

Then wouldnt the Huawei P8 or Moto G (3rd gen) work with Fi? They support all those bands.

With Verizon raising the price of unlimited, I'm looking at my options. Project Fi looks like a nice option except I don't really like any of the nexus phones. I don't know much about the two I mentioned, but if it works, at least it gives more options.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
If I recall, Tmobile LTE uses (Bands 2,4, 12) and Sprint LTE uses (24,26,41)

Then wouldnt the Huawei P8 or Moto G (3rd gen) work with Fi? They support all those bands.

With Verizon raising the price of unlimited, I'm looking at my options. Project Fi looks like a nice option except I don't really like any of the nexus phones. I don't know much about the two I mentioned, but if it works, at least it gives more options.

In response to my inquiry to
Fi support :
"Thank you for contacting Project Fi and welcome to the Fi community! My name is David and I can definitely further assist you today. To answer your question, No. You are not able to use Fi Sim cards or service with devices other than Nexus 6 and the new products that are to be released for Project Fi. If somehow you do get some type of service on external devices, you will not have full functionality. Hope this helps.
It was my pleasure assisting you today. If you need anything, feel free to respond to this email directly, and we will get right back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for being a valued customer here at Project Fi, have a great day!
Until next time!"

Hence, switching between Wi-Fi, T-M, S is probably limited or non-existant.
With me it was reading T-M for network. Don't know if it switched to anything else...but did take calls/texts ...as previously stated.

eng3

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
My question would be what "full functionality" means. In your post, you got errors because of the wrong android version not supporting the app. That can be resolved by upgrading the OS (ie custom rom). You mentioned that calls/txts worked but I wasnt clear on data. Were you on wifi or did you actually connect to the cell network. You mentioned you needed apn settings. Arent those needed for data to work too?

If you can just connect to data TM and/or S, that's alot right there. Sure you don't get "full functionality" and kinda defeats the purpose of Project FI, but it might be good if one only cares about T-mobile coverage OR sprint coverage and not both and their only reason for getting Project Fi is the pricing plan or international use.

I'm also curious if I could sign up for fi, try it in some other phone to test, the cancel. I know you can pause your service but I dont know what happens with your GV#.

Last edited:

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
My question would be what "full functionality" means. In your post, you got errors because of the wrong android version not supporting the app. That can be resolved by upgrading the OS (ie custom rom). You mentioned that calls/txts worked but I wasnt clear on data. Were you on wifi or did you actually connect to the cell network. You mentioned you needed apn settings. Arent those needed for data to work too?

If you can just connect to data TM and/or S, that's alot right there. Sure you don't get "full functionality" and kinda defeats the purpose of Project FI, but it might be good if one only cares about T-mobile coverage OR sprint coverage and not both and their only reason for getting Project Fi is the pricing plan or international use.

I'm also curious if I could sign up for fi, try it in some other phone to test, the cancel. I know you can pause your service but I dont know what happens with your GV#.

"full functionality" = my question also.

calls/texts worked utilizing T-Mobile network. didn't have access to T-M apn settings right then. to lazy to look. S signal stinks in my area.
was connected to local wi-fi so it had a data connection. don't know if it used it for calls. suspect not. apn settings are needed for data from T-M ...unless it's done purely on the back-end, which I doubt.
yoiur correct that if T-M or S has a great signal: who cares about switching? well I read somewhere that Google disrupted the poster's service after a time trying it out. So apparently they care. want to use their phones...in a way I understand. It's like beta and imagine many phones utilizing Fi and the support headaches...it could happen but later i suspect.

eng3

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the additional details.
My parents still don't have a smart phone and want to get one (between the two of them) but also travel on intl cruises alot. I was thinking project fi might be perfect for them. They don't care about switching so much since they don't travel domestically that much (only to a few big cities). They probably don't need a nexus and won't even use that much data so I was thinking getting an older cheaper tmobile with a fi sim would be perfect for them. I guess not.

For myself, I might wait til they have more phone options before trying it out. Looking at the coverage maps, tmobile+sprint still doesnt come close to verizon or att.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Speaking as someone "older" (old enough to join AARP), I would suggest that your parents would be better off with a Nexus type of device. The issue with the inexpensive smart phones, at least for someone older, is they typically have smaller, low resolution screens which make those devices harder for an older person to use. Particularly if your parents have the money to take cruises a lot, the extra couple of hundred dollars on the price of the phone will be far less important that getting a larger, bright, easy to read screen.

It does sound like Project Fi could be a great provider for them with their overseas travel, as well as having a great price since they likely aren't going to use a lot of data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2