disable wireless b in nexus 6?

pog7

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I've been on Project Fi for about 4 months. Everything's great except for one issue... more of an OS problem maybe but hoping someone here might have an answer that will work on my device-carrier combo.

Basically, there are several wireless routers I'm connecting to on a regular basis. One of them covers a large area and when I'm right at the edge of coverage, my phone gets a 1 or 2 mbps wireless B connection. IP address is there but there is no data throughput. If I'm staying in that area, I have to disable WiFi altogether in order to get anything done. Closer to router, I'll get "n" or "ac" speeds and good throughput.

I sometimes forget to turn WiFi back on, though... which ends up wasting LTE data for no good reason.

So... is there any way to disable wireless b in my Nexus 6 and leave the other protocols active? I don't have access to this particular router's config to do it from that end.

Thanks!

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
From xda, this might be useful: some dialer codes....use at your own risk.

Force jump to Sprint:
Code:
*#*#34777#*#*
34777 = FI SPR
Force jump to T-Mobile:
Code:
*#*#34866#*#*
34866 = FI TMO
Force jump to the next carrier:
Code:
*#*#346398#*#*
346398 = FI NEXT
Re-enable automatic carrier switching:
Code:
*#*#342886#*#*
342886 = FI AUTO
NOTE: I don't know for sure, but I think you might have to do this code to reactivate the automatic network switching after using one of the above to force it to jump to a different carrier!
Attempt to perform an automated "repair":
Code:
*#*#34963#*#*
34963 = FI XME (or if you prefer, FIX ME :p)
I'm not yet exactly sure what this does to repair anything, but it throws up a dialog that says "Updating..." and adds a notification to the shade that says "Configuring your cellular network...". Presumably this is similar to clearing data in the Project Fi app and re-activating.
Get information about the current network:
Code:
*#*#344636#*#*
344636 = FI INFO
The info in here isn't really all that useful. You can get better/more interesting info elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad