Anti Virus on Project Fi?

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I am curious if those of you using FI use an anti virus on some of the public wi-fi hotspots for phone calls. For example my wi fi provider has hotspots all over, but recommends the use of an anti virus when using them.

Does Fi automatically have one or some sort of protection you use another product for this ala Bit Defender, McAfee etc.

Thanks for your help. Take care.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No wireless connection automatically has antivirus protection. Someone can launch a man-in-the-middle attack on your phone (or even connect to it directly) no matter where you're getting your connection. Always run a decent antivirus (and a decent antimalware - they're not the same) app on any computing device connected to the world. (I haven't heard of any power line viruses, but in 1992 we hadn't heard of computer viruses, so that may be coming next - charge your phone and get a virus.)

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, are we talking about WiFi calling from a computer, or a phone (e.g. a Project Fi device)? Mobile devices like phones and tablets aren't subject to the same sort of anti-virus/anti-malware needs that more traditional PC/laptop devices are, because malicious programs can't install themselves without more obvious permission (and if you don't allow for installation from non-Play Store sources, it's almost impossible to get a malicious program).

That's not to say that there aren't security issues with mobile devices, but most of them have nothing to do with whether or not your WiFI provider has some sort of sentry software installed on their routers.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't use an antivirus software on my phone. I use Fi. The auto connect on Project Fi to WiFi hotspots is encrypted. So your data is pretty secure. I've never had a virus on my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

sanjayanand

May 12, 2016
Visit site
We (my wife and I, that is) just recently signed up for Fi (and got the Nexus 5X). In one of our chats with Google, we asked them re: anti-virus, and they said that Google will periodically (every 4-6 weeks) send out a system update. So no anti-virus etc. software is required to be installed by us. I am hoping/expecting that our Nexus 5X experience will be as good as our Chromebook experience (no virus, malware etc. on our Chromebooks).

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I've never used antivirus software on Android, and I've never gotten a virus. As long as you don't install any apps from unknown sources you will definitely be fine.

The types of security concerns that arise connecting to public hotspots have little if nothing to do with viruses. The higher risk is someone performing man in the middle attacks effectivity impersonating your device gaining access to your accounts. Google limits if not completely eliminates this risk by turning on a VPN when automatically connecting to these public hotspots. This encrypts your traffic so no one else on the network can see it.

When it DOES come to viruses on Android, as long as you keep to the Google Play Store you will be fine. Google also scans the apps on your phone looking for malware, and will remove bad ones.

On Android an app cannot be installed without your consent, and even when it's installed it can't gain access to anything without you granting permission. This means if you keep to installing apps from a trusted source you will be fine.

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac