Disparity between Project FI coverage map and T-Mobile coverage map

leatherneck111

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
What doesn't make sense is if Project Fi uses T-Mobile towers, and T-Mobile has 4G coverage, then why does the Project Fi map show only 2G coverage. Apparently the representative copy and paste a pre-scripted :-\ response that doesn't answer my questions. Can someone here explain?

THIS WAS THE MESSAGE I WROTE TO PROJECT FI SUPPORT:

[I had included some screen shots of coverage]
One is from project Fi website and the other from T-Mobile's website. Please explain to me why T-Mobile offers 4G on their maps while project Fi shows 2G service on your coverage map?

Either Project Fi 's coverage maps are outdated as T-Mobile is aggressively turning on and deploying more 4G towers OR T-Mobile is lying about their coverage areas?

Please clarify if project Fi uses T-Mobile coverage then why the disparity in service?

If the screen shots (towns in the finger lakes region of Western NY State) don't show enough then please type in "Hammondsport, NY" in both project Fi 's AND T-Mobile' s coverage maps and see for yourself what I'm talking about..... Note the disparity between both maps.

I would think in order to entice customers you should update project Fi's coverage maps everytime T-Mobile or sprint change theres. It doesn't make sense to show prospective customers slow 2G speeds when in reality it's 4G speeds.... That's marketing 101!!!

Am I right in assuming that the T-Mobile map gives a more accurate picture of 4G coverage than does yours?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

THIS WAS THEIR RESPONSE:

"I completely understand where you are coming from, with the map differences. We can only show the coverage that we are responsible for. We can only show the coverage that Project Fi uses."

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It could be those are AT&T negotiated leased towers that you only get when you are actually on a T-mobile account. The carriers have a agreements that let them use each other's towers but those agreements don't always extend to their leases to virtual networks.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Some of the T-Mobile maps showed upgrades that are expected to occur by the end of the year, so it could be those towers are not yet updated. Or it could even be that the towers have updated, but Fi has not yet updated the maps. T-Mobile has been working hard over the last several months to convert 2G only towers to LTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12