Our Project Fi Experience Coming from Verizon

wan2run

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd pass some info on about my experiences to help people decide whether or not to "take the leap".

My wife and I have been on Fi for about 3 weeks and I will breakdown our experiences...FWIW we have been long time Verizon users (since 2009).

Dollars

Fi - We have 1 GB of data each with the 5X (32GB) and 6P (64GB) payments spread out for the 2 year financing. My bill after taxes - $56.95, hers - $51.95 for a total of $108.90.

Verizon - We had the 3 GB Verizon plan (more on this later) with the Samsung Galaxy S6 and LG G4 payments spread out over 2 years. Total after taxes and with 15% corporate discount - $140.12

Savings = $31.22/month

Usage

Me - with 10 days remaining I have used only 114MB of data
Her - with 11 days remaining she has used only 28 MB of data

So we are on track to get ~$17 put towards our next bill. Seeing as how our only other alternative on Verizon was 1 GB shared (which would not have been enough according to the usage history) and would only be about $5 cheaper makes me wonder how much background data was being sent on Verizon...

Savings - ~$17/month

Service in Lexington, KY

So far service has been fine. I actually have better service where I work as I am able to use wifi calling. The transition from wifi to cellular has also been good and while I can notice it, I haven't dropped a call. The only complaint I receive is from my father who lives in the boonies saying that he gets a busy signal when calling and that it may take him a couple of tries to get through. He is the only person I've heard this from and he is on Verizon for his home phone. I actually anticipate having issues when traveling, but since we don't travel much I'm not too concerned because even when traveling through West Virginia Verizon didn't have complete coverage.

Phones

6P - coming from the G4 I miss nothing. The screen and build quality of the 6P and responsiveness and battery life of Marshmallow are amazing. My G4 wouldn't last past mid afternoon due to the inability to find service where I work. I routinely have 40% battery life on the 6P when I go to bed at 11PM and throw it on the charger. Camera options are limited with the Google camera app as opposed to the G4, but I don't miss any extras as I just use the camera on auto for the most part. Besides some of the missing features are available on other available camera apps. The size of the 6P does take a little to get used to and 1 handed operation is difficult, but I don't mind.

5x - The S6 definitely has a better build quality and better screen than the 5x. Fortunately, my wife doesn't seem to mind and although the 5X is a little bigger she likes the added weight savings. She does seem to like the camera on the S6 better, but the cost savings over time more than makes up for that in her eyes. Her battery life was good on the S6 and she never had a complaint, but the 5x with Marshmallow is better.

Bonus!

Since the 32GB 5X was available this past weekend (Black Friday - Cyber Monday) for $349 and since we purchased the 5X within the window we are getting an $80 credit on the phone.

Savings - ~$3.33 per month

Total savings on Fi - ~$51.00/month = $1224 for the 2 years should we decide to keep the phones that long. This coupled with having no bloat and always having the latest OS and security patches are no brainers to us.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Awesome.

Fi is a great little option for the data teatotalers out there. If you rarely ever see the high side of 1G of data, Fi could be a really good option.

wan2run

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Awesome.

Fi is a great little option for the data teatotalers out there. If you rarely ever see the high side of 1G of data, Fi could be a really good option.

The fact that we are able to use wireless really helps on the data usage and these devices on Fi do a good job of finding (and securing) open networks.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed I use less data on Fi. Coming from Verizon with no wifi calling I now never drop calls inside my house. I now have visual voice mail. I went from 3 to 4 gb data on Verizon to 1.8 last month on Fi. No noticeably change in cell signal in Westmoreland County, PA.

Posted via the Android Central App

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I started Fi service on 10/30. The same day I contacted VZW and told them I no longer needed service and to disconnect and send FINAL bill. They did which I paid on Nov 2. Yesterday I get a email from VZW saying I owe $15. I get on chat with them today and say what is the charge for? as I have paid final bill already. Rep says it was for some "unbilled data" from prior months. I am like, well I never had any of these type charges before until I terminated service and now I have mystery charges??? I was very nice and polite. After he consulted with someone/mgr, he kindly waived the charges.

This is not really comparing the services but the main thing I guess is try and be nice regardless of whom you are talking/chatting with. Most blame should be on the carrier and not the representative. It is very ez to get upset and frustrated when things do not work our way, but most small things like this are not life changing so dont let it get to ya! :)

MattKerwin

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I was paying about $90 on att...saving $50+ per month for pretty much the same coverage (even better with Fi in some areas) is amazing!

wan2run

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
You really don't use much data.

True, I am on wifi at work and home and this does a good job of finding open networks.

The first month is up and I used 239 MB of data. My wife used a whopping 83 MB! Apply the refunds to next months bill and mine is $49.42 and hers is $42.86 for a total of $92.28.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
True, I am on wifi at work and home and this does a good job of finding open networks.

The first month is up and I used 239 MB of data. My wife used a whopping 83 MB! Apply the refunds to next months bill and mine is $49.42 and hers is $42.86 for a total of $92.28.

I'm a bit confused. How do you end up with a total bill of $92.28 when the phone and text is $20 and the data is $10 per gig? Seems like you should have a combined Bill under $50. Please explain because I am thinking of trying Fi but this may change my mind.

wan2run

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit confused. How do you end up with a total bill of $92.28 when the phone and text is $20 and the data is $10 per gig? Seems like you should have a combined Bill under $50. Please explain because I am thinking of trying Fi but this may change my mind.

We also financed the phones so you have to include that in the monthly cost. My 64GB 6p is around $22 and her 32GB 5x is around $18. Finally there's about $4 in tax for each account.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
We also financed the phones so you have to include that in the monthly cost. My 64GB 6p is around $22 and her 32GB 5x is around $18. Finally there's about $4 in tax for each account.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. We live in a rural area so I have lots of concerns but I think it's worth a 14 tryout.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance