Fi Protect now available

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally rather disappointed. It turns out it will be $5/month, device replacements are $99 each, and you can have up to 2 device replacements within a rolling year (if you replace a device in March, then another in December, you can replace your device again the next March).

The Good: it will last as long as you own your phone, you aren't limited to the 2 year protection period you get from Nexus Protect. You also can have two replacements in any given year, whereas Nexus Protect only gives you two replacements total, over the two year coverage period. Also, you can cancel if you get rid of the phone or just decide you don't need it anymore.

The Bad: over a 2 year period you pay roughly $30 more for Fi Protect PLUS any replacements cost you $20 more (at least for the 6P). Plus, if for any reason you need to leave Project Fi, you lose your protection plan on your phone.

I think, for the price, at a minimum they should have included loss/stolen replacement coverage. I also wish they would have given the option for either Nexus Protect or Fi Protect.

One last note: if you sign up now, you will be retroactively charged from the date your device was shipped (not the date received).

Jimieo

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Let's say you buy from the Google Store today, and on Monday December 21st you have your phone and Nexus Protect. Great! Tuesday you break your phone. There goes 168 dollars. Maybe you are really clumsy and break the replacement two weeks later. You can't get a replacement without paying full price.

Now, let's say you bought through Project Fi and again you had your device on Monday the 21st, but on Tuesday you broke it. You only paid 5 dollars for this month and the 99 replacement. 104 dollars. Two weeks later, again, you break your phone. You can get a new replacement for an additional 100. (assuming I properly understand Fi's service). 203 total for the two phones.

While these scenarios may be far fetched, we are clumsy as a species, and we do have accidents.

You have a choice which one you want to go through. If you want Nexus Protect buy from the Google Store, if you want Fi's buy through Fi..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair