Difference in data usage from Major carrier to Fi

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
First of all let me say that, as I get closer to the end of my first month on Fi, that I am absolutely happy as can be that I made the change from Verizon. With Big Red I was paying $130 per month for unlimited talk and text with 4gb of data and always used about 3gb or so ... On Fi for the first month I chose the $3gb $50 plan. As you can see in the screenshot attached, with just 9 days left, I haven't even used 500mb yet (same kind of usage as on Verizon) and I even used over 200mb in just one day! I'm going to come in way under the 3gb I paid for which is cool but I'm just wondering how normal it is. Should I lower it to 2gb/$40 next month? Can I expect similar results monthly going forward? (my usage is consistent, I'm always in the same places)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Nexus 6P

Attachments

• 7870.jpg
    7870.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

DukeofPhone

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used FI myself but it seems that the service uses WiFi hotspots when available, I assume while attached to WiFi the data used will not count against your data plan?

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that I seem to be using less data as well. I think because the phone connects to wifi at so many places automatically. I have 10 days left to go on my month and I'm only at .3gb. I switched my plan down to the 1gb plan since they will charge you if you use more anyway.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use Fi and also had Verizon. I was using about 3gb a month on an unlimited data account and paying way to much. So like you I opted for the 3gb plan. I have been using about 2 gbs a month and they just a just your bill, credit your account. There have been very few hiccups. I did install signal spy. I do love visual voice mail. I can understand my bill. I am planning a trip to Europe this year and Fi is good in all places I plan on going. Trying Fi was a 50 dollar experiment and it has been better than I hope for.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
For reasons too long to explain, I went from Verizon to Fi back to Verizon, and I'm coming back to Fi. Due to no visual voicemail I downloaded the Google Voice app. When going back to Fi, do you think I should delete Voice so as to avoid any conflicts?

Posted via the Android Central App

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from verizon to Fi. Couldn't be happier. I live in the Detroit burbs and get data speeds of 65 mbps using T-Mobile. 3 days in and have only used .002 mbs of data

Slowhite03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if its just me or if other people as well, but since using fi, I've been more aware of my data usage. What I mean by that, is I've turned off almost all background data and I rarely use my phone to check random things when out and about.

I've been on fi for two months and both months have been less than 20mb, that is not a typo.

Adam Ziarnik

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if its just me or if other people as well, but since using fi, I've been more aware of my data usage. What I mean by that, is I've turned off almost all background data and I rarely use my phone to check random things when out and about.

I've been on fi for two months and both months have been less than 20mb, that is not a typo.

This has been my experience as well. When you are paying for what you use, a lot of people are going to be more conscious of their data usage, and will probably use less data than they would on a plan with a set data allotment each month that they pay for regardless of actual data usage. I had a 30gb data plan shared between 3 lines on AT&T (because I got a really good deal on it at the time), and I found myself using lot of data just because it was there.

One of my reasons for switching to Fi is to lower my bills, and now I find myself pre-planning what music I want to listen to in the car and downloading albums for offline playback instead of just playing whatever on Spotify in the moment. I don't really have to watch that video on Facebook or YouTube right now either - it can wait until I get home.

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I ended up only using 586mb in my first month without even trying to limit my usage. I got back $24 and lowered my second month to 1gb. We'll see how that goes. As it stands now that's $30 a month on Fi coming from $130 for 4gb on Verizon .. Since I've had absolutely no issues with coverage/quality I'm basically ready to call this a victory for me!

Posted via the Android Central App on my Nexus 6P

Droidnought

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm two weeks in on Fi and am 264mb where as with Verizon I would be at 2.64gb mid billing cycle. I've done nothing different with my phone. Same settings. Same apps. I use my phone no differently than I did before yet the data used is that much different.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08