WiFi calling

Daniel Mott

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I currently have Verizon and I am thinking of switching to fi. Verizon removed my $25 more everything line discount when I added my 6p to the plan and so far everyone I have talked to refuses to put it back on. My question is that I work in the basement of a hospital so I have no cell phone signal at work and I put my phone into airplane mode to save battery. Since fi will work over WiFi for calling and texting do I need to still put my phone into airplane mode to save battery? Will the phone keep looking for cell reception or dinner it has a strong WiFi signal it will stick with that? Also is there a way to keep my line open to switch back to Verizon if I don't like the service with fi? T-Mobile just moved to this area and I don't know how sprint service is around here. Thanks for the help.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
To ensure your calls initiate on wi-fi, put the phone in airplane mode and re-enable wi-fi. Fi routes calls through your cell signal first, no matter how poor the signal might be. Pause your VZW service for a month and use Fi with a new number or the Google Voice number associated with your account. Once your satisfied with Fi, you can port your VZW number which will automatically cancel your service with VZW.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
To ensure your calls initiate on wi-fi, put the phone in airplane mode and re-enable wi-fi. Fi routes calls through your cell signal first, no matter how poor the signal might be. Pause your VZW service for a month and use Fi with a new number or the Google Voice number associated with your account. Once your satisfied with Fi, you can port your VZW number which will automatically cancel your service with VZW.

I'm not entirely sure of that. It seems to me after 3 months on Fi wifi seems to be the preferred connection. I believe you can also turn off cellular connections.

Last edited:

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

sidsub

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually, its whatever's stronger signal.

I've never had it go to wifi calling in the US if there is any type of cell signal in place. I am right next to my wi-fi router right now with a blazing fast back end connection while I have a couple of bars, -110 to -120 dBm, on cellular. My calls out here still go over cellular.

To the OP: you should still use airplane mode in your basement office and then turn on wi-fi. The phone will still scan for cell signal all day. As for pausing or restarting VZW service, as I see it, you're not gaining anything by keeping something active on VZW. You can always go back to them and you'll be coming in as "new" customer eligible for any incentives they may have to switch.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Airplane mode isn't necessary. It'll auto-switch to WiFi. I get average signal at home, and almost perfect signal at work, and my phone still uses WiFi for phone calls almost all the time.

That's from the link earlier in the thread. I'm thinking of switching to Fi from Verizon too.

Curious to know the truth to all of this.

Posted via the Android Central App

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I went from Verizon to Fi and forced back to Verizon for a month because they lied about their ETF. This week I came back to Fi, and I think I get better reception now than I did with Verizon. Not to mention so much less data usage.

Posted via the Android Central App

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually, its whatever's stronger signal.

Agreed, Today was the first time where I received a call while at home over wifi automatically while I had a good cell signal. I think the speed of the wifi connection plays a role. Fi puts you on the best service you have. Wifi needs to be pretty fast for you to have a good quality call. I've been on calls over wifi on a pretty good connections and the call quality was worse than if I was on cell with a moderate signal.