Extender

imputerate

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
The very weak access provided by my current Verizon service requires me to use an extender. This contraption is attached to my router, and linked to the two cell phones on the account. When I make or receive a call, it kicks up the signal to 5 bars.
If I were to switch to Project Fi, would the extender improve my access to T Mobile and Sprint?
How would i "link" the extender to these carriers and to the new Nexus phones?

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You can't use the extender with Fi. It has to be registered on the Verizon system to be used with your phones.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
There is little need for an extender, Fi does WiFi calling and texting. When you make or receive a call when on WiFi, it actually indicates that it's being made using the current WiFi connection.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Duh, forgot about that. We have an extender that we used with ATT, but since moving to Fi we haven't needed an extender. Our old ATT Micro Cell just sits here unused and unneeded.

We've had an unusual situation when we switched to Fi. We've had VZW and ATT In the recent past and neither had a signal in one location that we go to regularly but since moving over to Fi we now have signal in that area now. Granted the signal is weak and is 3g but we can now make calls where we previously could not with the two big wireless services. This was the last thing we expected but it is what happened.

imputerate

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It looks like Project Fi could used extenders, it it chose to. Is it a sure thing that I cannot get my Verizon extender "converted" to T-Mobile or Sprint? peter

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It looks like Project Fi could used extenders, it it chose to. Is it a sure thing that I cannot get my Verizon extender "converted" to T-Mobile or Sprint? peter

Project Fi runs off Sprint and T-Mobile. Their extenders may work but I highly doubt either carrier will give you once since you're using Project Fi and WiFi can be used as the extenders.

Unfortunately a Verizon extender cannot be converted to work for these carriers.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Project Fi runs off Sprint and T-Mobile. Their extenders may work but I highly doubt either carrier will give you once since you're using Project Fi and WiFi can be used as the extenders.

Unfortunately a Verizon extender cannot be converted to work for these carriers.

T-Mobile, as a general rule, doesn't use extenders because of WiFi calling built into their phones. An extender could work on either Sprint or T-Mobile but, as pointed out, the issue would be trying to get one. Instead, again as pointed out, you are better off just trying to get WiFi to work in an area you'd use an extender.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile, as a general rule, doesn't use extenders because of WiFi calling built into their phones. An extender could work on either Sprint or T-Mobile but, as pointed out, the issue would be trying to get one. Instead, again as pointed out, you are better off just trying to get WiFi to work in an area you'd use an extender.

T-Mobile does have them though for those who cannot use WiFi calling. Such as when I had my international G4 and then my Moto X Pure Edition (both didn't have / couldn't support WiFi calling). I get great signal with T-Mobile all around except, ironically enough, at my house. It is very weak. I didn't want the "cellspot" which uses my home internet so I had them send me a 4G LTE Signal Booster since I can get LTE by certain windows. I wrote a review about it here -- http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile/552803-t-mobile-cel-fi-4g-lte-signal-booster.html.

anon(5356006)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Your Verizon extender uses frequencies specific to Verizon, plus, you need to have it active on a Verizon account to manage it. No, it can't be "converted". Why do you need to convert it though? Fi uses WiFi for calling as is, there is no need for an extender...

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Before switching to Project Fi, I was a T-Mobile user. Because I have a weak cell signal in my living room, I used a T-Mobile 4G LTE signal booster. The signal went from one (1) signal bar to five (5). The booster is still connected and the PFi signal is also five. I use the booster to ensure my text messages went out quickly and they still do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20