Ring multiple devices

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was surprised the first time I received a cellular call while sitting at my PC which just happened to be logged onto my Gmail account; my PC "rang" to alert me to the incoming call. That's pretty cool.

Okay, so here is my issue: I have two phones, a Nexus 6P which is my go-to device for everything and a Nexus 5 which I use as a cycling computer and to be able to send and receive texts/phone calls/etc. while out riding. The N5 is a good size for this use and, if anything should happen to it... well, it wouldn't bother me as much as if it was the 6P which got damaged/stolen/whatever.

So, my 6P is on Project Fi and the N5 is on Cricket (AT&T). Both devices are logged onto my Gmail account and both have Hangouts set as the default messaging app. Now, if I understand this ( https://fi.google.com/about/experience/#use-your-phone-number-with-tablets-and-laptops-too ) correctly, when I call my Project Fi number, it should ring my 6P (it does), my PC if logged into my Gmail account (it does) and my Nexus 5 - but it doesn't. Why not??

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the Hangouts Dialer installed on the Nexus 5?

By the way, you can get a (free) data-only SIM for the Nexus 5, data used on that device counts as data from your main plan, and if you have Hangouts Dialer installed, it will ring when you get a call to your Fi number.

I even get rings on my tablet, it has Hangouts Dialer installed.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Hangouts Dialer installed on the Nexus 5?

By the way, you can get a (free) data-only SIM for the Nexus 5, data used on that device counts as data from your main plan, and if you have Hangouts Dialer installed, it will ring when you get a call to your Fi number.

I even get rings on my tablet, it has Hangouts Dialer installed.

Wow, I don't know which to thank you for first!

So, I installed the Hangouts Dialer and eventually figured out that I needed to go into Hangouts -> Settings -> (my account) -> Incoming phone calls -> Enable it. Works awesome now.

And to learn that I can get a free data only card? That is certainly going to be less expensive than the $35/month for the Cricket account, even with the increased data usage.

Thanks for both of those tips.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup, the data-only SIM is becoming more widely known but still not hugely known. One caveat to that, it only works on T-Mobile towers, it doesn't auto-switch.

That SIM will work on any device that supports T-Mobile networks, even tablets. I got one for my 2013 Moto X (Verizon-branded but it supports T-Mobile towers) for the same purpose as you have your Nexus 5 for.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The data only sim is great. My boyfriend uses mine in his iPad.

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Also, my computer also rings when I get a phone call. The first time it happened I couldn't figure out what was happening haha. Usually the computer starts ringing before the phone even does!

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21