Can I have T Mobile and Fi active at the same time?

Mdgolf775

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Can I just swap between my TMO sim and my Fi sim and keep both active while I evaluate? Is there an issue with a single phone number and swapping back and forth?

I understand that I'll be paying for them both during that period.

My current service is TMobile and I'm happy with coverage in my area. I'm going on a 6 city trip in May and thought I'd test out Fi, and if I got in a pinch I could swap the TMO sim back in (though logically you wouldn't think that would make a difference...but I could compare data speeds).

Mdgolf775

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
You can't have one number active with 2 carriers.

So if I wanted to test it is the solution to create a new number, use that for Fi with the old one still active on TMO? But what happens if I want to cancel to TMO and move my "real" service over to Fi? Do I just cancel the service for the "test" number and sign up new with the "real" one?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that you can have Fi give you a number, then if it works for you and you want your number moved to Fi they will port it for you after the fact.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why it wouldn't work to switch the SIM around. The only issue I can think of is that the phone may stay "registered" to Sprint's CDMA network (but not Sprint LTE, since that is tied to the SIM), but that shouldn't matter since the T-Mobile SIM won't try to "switch" to the Sprint network. You also may need to register the phone to the Fi Network when you put the Fi SIM back, not sure about that. But I don't expect there would be a problem.

Still, it seems like a better option -- unless you specifically need a feature from the Nexus with the T-Mobile SIM, at times, would be to use a second phone for T-Mobile -- either an old phone you have around the house or buy a very cheap one (you can typically pick up one of the Windows Phones for $50 or less that function quite well, just lack several apps). It will allow you a better test of the Fi Network, while still allowing you to call on text over T-Mobile.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I'll call them an check it out or search the google forums.

I've found their support to be helpful and very friendly.

I don't see why it wouldn't work to switch the SIM around. The only issue I can think of is that the phone may stay "registered" to Sprint's CDMA network (but not Sprint LTE, since that is tied to the SIM), but that shouldn't matter since the T-Mobile SIM won't try to "switch" to the Sprint network. You also may need to register the phone to the Fi Network when you put the Fi SIM back, not sure about that. But I don't expect there would be a problem.

Still, it seems like a better option -- unless you specifically need a feature from the Nexus with the T-Mobile SIM, at times, would be to use a second phone for T-Mobile -- either an old phone you have around the house or buy a very cheap one (you can typically pick up one of the Windows Phones for $50 or less that function quite well, just lack several apps). It will allow you a better test of the Fi Network, while still allowing you to call on text over T-Mobile.

The problem isn't what network the device is "registered" to, that's handled by the SIM and swapping the SIM shouldn't be a problem. The original question was if the same phone number could be on both SIMs, and the answer is that it can't be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz