This past Saturday - days after porting my number from Sprint to ProjectFi - I got a bunch of surprise texts from various stores, my credit card company, pharmacy, etc., saying I'd unsubscribed from their texts. This was news to me!

Today I found the answer: m.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/3sx5j0/woke_up_to_mass_sms_unsubscription_today
    05-16-2016 08:16 PM
    Same thing happened to me when I moved from sprint to tmobile. I was a bit peeved to say the least - especially since the first ones I saw was from my banks, and I was worried about possible account being hacked. Then I realized it was sprint being a bitter *****. If you port, leave it alone... If you cancel all together and leave the line behind then send the cancelation messages. They have it backwards.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Hypnotoadd likes this.
    05-22-2016 11:36 PM
    Realistically, those gateways are sending texts to you using the email address format, such as xxxxxxxxxx@vztext.com for delivery to you as a text message. It's best that those get unenrolled or they're going to bounce back to your bank. This is why they need to know what service you're on when you sign up for them - so they can send to the correct domain.
    05-23-2016 12:33 PM
    Realistically, those gateways are sending texts to you using the email address format, such as xxxxxxxxxx@vztext.com for delivery to you as a text message. It's best that those get unenrolled or they're going to bounce back to your bank. This is why they need to know what service you're on when you sign up for them - so they can send to the correct domain.
    Right and since project FI does not support that method of receiving texts then it will never work.
    05-23-2016 01:12 PM
    Right and since project FI does not support that method of receiving texts then it will never work.
    While I did have ALL of my text based alerts cancelled after I switched from VZW to Project Fi. I've been able to restore more than half to text. The remaining accounts that don't support Project Fi in their drop down choices I was able to convert the others to app based notifications. Minor annoyance overall. "Never" is to strong a word. In time to I expect more will support Project Fi natively.
    05-23-2016 05:22 PM
    I had no problem re-subscribing to those that were actually cancelled. I found out that although I received all of the "we've stopped your texts", some really weren't cancelled.
    05-23-2016 07:15 PM
    Actually they do if I'm understanding you correctly... https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6356597
    05-23-2016 07:27 PM
    Actually they do if I'm understanding you correctly... https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6356597
    I stand corrected :-). Although it is limited to Messenger that is good to know.
    05-23-2016 10:08 PM
    I stand corrected :-). Although it is limited to Messenger that is good to know.
    I use Hangouts for SMS and just tested it. Worked fine for me.
    05-24-2016 06:28 AM
    I wonder if that article was an underhanded attempt to get people to move to Messenger...
    05-24-2016 08:00 AM
    Maybe they just didn't update for the newer Hangouts version.
    05-24-2016 10:47 AM